Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have the Monsoon system in my 2000 and the sub woofers sound terrible. The car still has all the original
Delco speakers and Monsoon h/u and amp. Will this speaker physically fit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/161430006939?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I know it is a cheap brand but I just need something that will work for now. I have found that we are limited in trying to find these type sub woofers. Has someone tried these yet?

I am thinking that they may be as good as the originals were when they were new?

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
I doubt Kyle speakers are as good as the OEM ones. Just search for the original part number: "9365799" speakers. Even Walmart.com sells them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/46946161?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227034880802&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=95056709928&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=131279357808&veh=sem

https://www.google.com/search?q=firebird+monsoon+speakers+sail+panel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=firebird+monsoon+speakers+sail+panel&tbm=shop&spd=5607832937930662189

The ones you linked will fit, however you may need to modify them slightly and you may need to rewire them for the polarity of the Monsoon amp outputs. If they sound wimpy on bass, swap one wire pair red-to-black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a little research on those speakers... probably would be a disappointment. I would have never guessed you could still get the originals, especially at Wal-mart. Thanks for the part #.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
Here's a tip. Regarding OEM AC Delco speakers, under no circumstances remove the grill-cloth and spacer ring that is glued to the front of a new speaker. I learned the hard way, that doing that ruins the voice cone. If you must inspect the voice cone from the front, use a small Exacto knife to very carefully cut away the grill-cloth while leaving the composite spacer ring attached. If you try to remove the spacer ring, this can happen:

Audio equipment Gadget Cookware and bakeware Electronic device Loudspeaker

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Debating between getting the Delco or Bazooka. Leaning towards the Bazookas. Not much of a choice to get one with the right specs. After reading a little more, there are a "LOT" of bad reviews on those Pyles

·
Administrator
2,476 Posts
At one time I had 2 non-amplified 6" SaS Bazookas on a 250w amp. They did very well. Impressive for 6"ers. Can't speak on the amplified Bazookas, but, the reviews seem very favorable. They will sound great, they will suppliment your existing setup nicely, BUT, they aren't going to shake your rump. They have the dB, just not very much SPL.

Never been a fan of Pyle. They's right up there with Pyramid, Rockwood, Jensen, etc. That being said, every "name inspires confidence" car-audio company makes wal-mart / best-buy junk now too. "You get what you pay for" has never been a more truthful statement. Looked at an Alpine head unit the other day. Junk by late-90's standards.

Good luck. Bazooka has my vote, but, only if "rump shaking" is not a requirement.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
1,819 Posts
I'd try to find frequency response (curve included) specs on those. The Monsoon amp will bang with the right speakers. Speakers with a steep roll-off at low Hz will sound terrible due to linear distortion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts