Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have been looking at these little black boxes to add intermittent to my standard 2-speed wiper.

At least a couple of them say upfront they are not compatible with "concealed wipers". Does the 2nd gen Firebird's standard wipers qualify as this? I've noticed on the last sweep they tuck in a little so am thinking these add-on boxes may be no good?

Incidentally I'm in the UK so junkyard scrambles to find used delay switches and motors are out of the question.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
The Hide Away Wipers were the only wiper available on Trans Am and Firebirds from 1970 on.

One can easily determine which wiper system is on a car by observing a couple of differences both above and under the hood:

Standard System

Silver wiper arms held the blades

The drivers arm was identical to the passenger arm in construction

The motor used to drive these wipers was rectangular in shape and protruded from the firewall a good distance

Hide Away System

Wiper arms were coated with a special type of flat black finish

The driver's side arm was articulated (jointed) and had an "extra" rod which connected the arm, near the blade, to the cowl of the car causing the blade to swing while it swept the windshield

The motor used to power the hide away system was round or "barrel" shaped on the bottom and had a separate washer pump which attached to its top.

This system also had additional electronics which caused the motor to stop in a position where the wiper arms were below the back of the hood line.

Hope that at least helps with what kind you have.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It won't be so simple as hooking up a delay. The wipers automatically park when turned off. You will need it to somehow allow for this and park between sweeps or to not power the park side of the operation until turned off, not impossible but more involved than standard wiper systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts