Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a OEM gas tank for a 74 trans am and the sending unit gasket sent with the tank is too thick to allow the locking mechanism to lock.

Has anyone experienced this before?

the company that sold the tank is telling me that the unit is correct. I did notice that the tank has the opening elevated as compared to the original gas tank.

Trying to send pictures but the pictures files are too big to attach.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Marcus, Really need pics to help. Some of the sending unit gaskets I have seen are not as soft as others and you have to be able to compress them to get the lock to rotate around. try assembling it without a gasket and look and see how much room is left for the gasket. If you have an 1/8" after positive engagement of the sending unit your gasket needs to be at least 3/16" thick to provide a good seal. You may try a few auto parts stores locally they may be able to get you a new sending unit gasket if not in stock the next day without shipping. if you don't have any luck with that, try Ames Performance. This is always a problem when buying parts for these older cars you have to buy many parts 2 or 3 times to find one that will work . Good Luck. David

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Try turning the resolution down on your camera to the minimum. Then pics should upload.

I've found that most reproduction parts are not exact copies of the original GM parts. Next purchase you might want to buy GM approved repro parts. They should be more like the originals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David,

Thanks for your input and i will try your approach.

Robert,

I will certainly redo the photos with less resolution as to post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will rend back the gas tank due to it not fitting correctly, is there a certain company that has a good reproduction quality?

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
You can also set up an account on Photobucket or any other online photo storage site and post links to the photos.

Where did you get the tank from?

I got the majority of my restoration parts from Classic Industries and Ames Performance. Year One and National Parts Depot usually good also.

One thing to know, each year of our cars may have some special thing that was unique. The restoration parts are made to fit a range of years, so may not always be perfect for your year. So sometimes we have to be creative, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts