Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix broken finned "slots" on a 1974 Formula hood?

I'm not sure what these parts of the hood are actually properly called, but they are the tiny fin-type vertical slotted design elements that are near the top of hood, by the windshield.

I assume it would take some fiberglass fabrication and molds to try and fix them. Not sure how much that could cost, or whether it's more cost-effective to seek out another hood with these slots intact.

Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of my hood, where you can see many of these slots are broken.

15wf3lw.png

·
Registered
576 Posts
For 1 or 2 broken cowl vents it is not easy but can be fixed with time and patience. usually the pieces are there but cracked. With as many missing or broken as you have I would look into a new hood. I found one on the east coast with a broken corner and 3 cracked cowl vents $200. a real nice shape one will go from 450-750 as long as its not a 70 or early 71 which are rare.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have one in much the same shape. I have considered just grinding what's left and covering in fiberglass, then routing out the slots with a router (or just covering and leaving like that). Routing would work well if i could figure out some kind of jig for the router. I need to see if I can get direct access to the bottom side of the slots, that too would make things easier. I have another metal hood that I have considered cutting out the vent area and bonding it in place, but I fear the expansion rates of the two different materials would cause cracks. I'll be diving into this little project in a month or two.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have,a fiberglass hood on my '71 T/A and does not have any slots at all. I still get good flow out my dash vents, so I guess good air pressure gets down in where the wipers hide. The hood fits good like the steel hood did, and it gives a unique feature to my T/A in that it looks stock, but there is something different as well

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago, I took mine to a shop that specialized in Corvette body repair. They did an outstanding job. As my hood was just about in the shape of yours.

Just a thought,
Wolf
Thanks for the info, Wolf. I'll consider doing that if it seems more reasonable in price than a new hood. Do you recall how much you were charged for the repair? Did they basically just recreate the pieces of missing finned slots?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
With a bit of work they may be able to graft in some similar fins from another hood or spares, even if not 100% identical but also make hood useable again. Anything is possible but as usual the cost of repairing can be more than a better hood. It may be easier to blank off than repair but of course not original that way.

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
You could do the repair of the hood yourself. If you wish it, I could do a write up to assist you in the repair process. It can be done either of 2 ways. First is to make it factory with the vent holes, which would be the more difficult of the 2 ways.

Second would be to make vent area a solid piece, which is the easier method.

Either way, let me know if you wish a write up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.