Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this car from my supervisor for what I think is one heck of a deal. Its a 1967 Base Hardtop. He has owned this car since about 1994 and as far as I know it has spent most of its life as a 1/4 mile car. I am the 3rd owner, has never had any rust repair, original floors, quarters, doors, rockers and still extremely solid. It has been painted once, it originally was an Aqua color (I know a guru will know the official name of it) but since their family has a thing with the color red it was painted. The engine is a .030 bored 400 Pontiac with aluminum heads, healthy cam, and all the other go fast goodies that go along these mods. It has low hours on the engine because not long after he built it he bumped up to the pro mod class. It was dynoed at just shy of 500 hp. at the crank (Yes, they have an engine dyno) and the best time it ran was 11.80 on 10.5 slicks. My plans are to hang some exhaust, add some creature comforts and make it more streetable...then drive the wheels off it. Now for pics!!!!

081_zpseoxcjjvn.jpg

Yes, its getting a Flowmaster exhaust

043_zpsaoobsxot.jpg

No........Not my garage......I wish though!!!!

035_zpszdsemv1j.jpg

031_zps3i8mj0kj.jpg

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
Nice car! That line lock will be fun to play with for John Force style burnouts. AND, you can do rolling smoke shows that make your car look incredibly powerful to folks that don't know you have the line lock. Drive along at say 40 mph apply brake a little harder than you normally would to transfer weight forward unloading the rear tires. Hit the line lock, release brake pedal and mash the gas at the same time. The wheels will start spinning and the front brakes are partially engaged. Let off line lock when you've spun the wheels as far as you want. Practice first before showing off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The line lock isn't working, but neither are most of the lights. I really haven't tore into the car yet. I ordered up a factory service manual for it so next weekend I plan on exhaust and chasing electrical gremlins.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sounds like a good base to start with! Congrats on the purchase, money well spent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep forgetting to update this but exhaust is hung and what a pain that was. But more importantly I was able to drive is and HOLY S%&@!!!!!! This thing is stupid, crazy quick and has power to spare!!! Has a bit of a overheating problem but it was a 1/4 mile car so its wasnt built for long drives. It has an electric drive setup for the water pump which I've read isnt really ideal for the street. So new pulleys are on the "To Buy" list. Along with a new distributor, I tried hooking up the vacuum advance and ended up running horribly if it would even run at all. Found out that the distributor is set up for no vacuum advance and runs the best at 36 degrees advanced.......Not sure what thats all about. Also picked up some C5 brake parts to get ready to update the brakes. I plan on using the brackets from KORE3.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Nice car!

Put the fan shroud on should help the overheating. Can't see if you have them but there are ac filler panels that cover the gaps in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if it has the ac filler plates. It has what I'm guessing is a summit racing universal fit aluminum radiator. The shroud it has is actually made from the lid from a tupperware tote. I have my eye on a couple of electric fan/shroud combos. It actually stays cool idling, it just shoots up fast when you start to drive it. I think the electric water pump setup just doesn't flow enough for everyday driving. I doubt it has a thermostat in it and the heater hoses are capped off, I'm sure that's not helping much either. But here are my new purchases. Brakes and my one wheel lol

DSCN0254_zpsnpxu4dvv.jpg

011_zpseubn1b2p.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts