Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here working on a 96 trans am LT1 engine. I've been rebuilding the top end of my engine this winter and have rebuilt the fuel injectors. After putting on the new rings, baskets and spacers, I put the injectors back on the rail and had all kinds of difficulty getting the fuel injector clips to slide back over the injector.

I had to really work at it, but finally got them all under the clip. When I put them back in the intake and bolted them down, I couldn't get the injector electrical plugs to fit back down on about half of them. They just wouldn't go back down enough to lock on. So I disassembled again, and even tried using the old rings to get the injectors to fit in deeper.

I put on the intake again, and still couldn't get the plug to engage on 5 and 1 on the drivers side. I haven't even tried the passenger side yet. It looks like the fuel injector clips are blocking the plug from seating like it should.

Anyone else have this problem and find a way to cure? Any help would be much appreciated

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Are you sure you got all the old o-rings out of the intake manifold and fuel rails? Did you put a bit of oil on the o-rings to ease the insertion? Did you verify the dimensions of the new spacers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I've cleaned the intake holes and oiled the O-rings. All the O-rings new and old look the same, both tops and bottoms. The new ones look a tad thicker, but still can't get the plugs on the ones with the old O-rings. It looks like the fuel injector metal clip is what is preventing the plug from going on. When one slide off the fuel injector when I was inserting the plug, the plug engaged like it should.

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
You have the retainer clips slid into the injectors from the front (of engine) side, correct? Not pushed over the injector from the connector side. I can't check mine because I don't use the clips with my Bosch injectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe I've tried them both ways. But, I'm going to try that tomorrow. I didn't notice a big difference in clearance for the plug. You can imagine how long it took me to put the air conditioning system back in. I had to try everything about 5 times to finally get it right.

·
Administrator
14,404 Posts
The only part of the clip you should see is the little "curl" that wraps upward over the lip on the edge of the fuel rail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the fuel injectors on my 90 a while back. If not careful and install the retainers the incorrect way, the electrical connectors do not fit on all the way.
Do you remember if the c clip slide on in the same direction for each injector on each side? The clips are c shaped so do they slide on with the inner c pointing towards the back of the engine or the front of the engine. This will reverse which side of the injector that the clip will slide on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts