Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey FBN!

Its been awhile since ive posted, and unfortunately its for a bad reason. While driving home from school I hit ice and my car slid and hit the curb. I cracked my rim but thats not the issue. I got a replacement and the new tire mounted. I was told though that my rear track bar is bent from the collision.

GM parts direct has discontinued the part and Belle Tire said to try and call a salvage yard. I was curious if anyone has any experence wit this situation?

There seem to be a few floating around for sale online, but with very few reviews if any and I am a little skeptical.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-k6341

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Here's a salvage yard search engine. You can search your state, region, or whole country as yards on engine ship.http://www.car-part.com

search engine has built in interchange info. So you will know what other years will work besides 99.

Craigslist is another possibility to find the track bar. Many people are parting 4th gens. Expand your search from your home city as far as your willing to drive to pick up part.

Also make sure you check all the parts track bar attach to as they could be damaged also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I found a used one online and ordered it. Belle Tire quoted me $140-$180 for the fix plus alignment. I'm at school so its hard for me to work on my own car, but im looking into doing it myself

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
I'd guess 1/4 of the 4th Gen track bars (panhard rod) have been replaced by aftermarket upgrades. Should be plenty of used ones available. My stocker is just cluttering up my garage. Too bad you're so far away..... I'd give it to you to get rid of it.

Just for the heck of it, measure the side-to-side clearance between the fender lip and the tire sidewall on each side. If the bar is bent, the measurements won't be the same. You would have to have put a huge lateral load on the outside of the driver side rear wheel to put the bar in compression and cause it to buckle. That's the end attached to the axle. Hitting a curb with the passenger side wheel would put the bar in tension, and if something bent, it would be the huge arm on the right side of the chassis that supports the bar. That arm is braced by another diagonal brace to the opposite side of the chassis.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I replaced my trackbar with a Moog one from Rock Auto. You should be happy that the direction it impacted in compressed the track bar, instead of ripping the mount like mine did.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Chainsaw Flooring

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grey

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts