Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few articles about this, but I wanted 100% clarification on what is going on here and if there is a fix.

I purchased a 98 Formula almost 2 years ago (which is a very rare car here) and I noticed that the rear left hand side of the car sat higher than the left.

I recently replaced the rear springs, which sit at the same height when placed on the floor, but after installation, the height on both sides is now higher (which is to be expected, I suppose) and the difference in height from left to right now leaves the difference in height even bigger than before, now the left hand side sits even higher than the right.

Frustration, especially since being a right hand drive car, with the driver and the spare tire on the right, makes the whole car feel and look a little lop-sided.

What might cause this? Some suggest that this is normal for these cars?

Is there a fix? Cutting the spring short would not be such a great thing, since they are new, making the right higher might make the car look worse, I think.

Ultimately, it's not just about how it looks to me, it's about how it handles, so I'd like to hear from someone who knows what the issue is and how to resolve it, properly.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Have you thought about changing the front springs. A problem there will cause a difference at rear also.

As an example, I did front end work several years ago. This involved removing the springs. When I installed the springs, I made sure they sat in the pocket correctly, but forgot to install 1 of the rubber isolators. The car not sits higher on one side at rear of the car, while front looks level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.