Firebird Nation banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1997 firebird 3.8 Y87 5 spd
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
slides are fine and properly greased. really dunno what's happening. anyway, completed the bleeding process. can't really tell at the moment if the caliper is locking or not.

car is on jackstands without wheels and driveshaft. will update asap.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,028 Posts
Have you inspected the parking brake assembly to make sure that it is releasing on the passenger side?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hi, sorry, i didn't notice your reply!

no i did not, good point, i'll check it and report back.

also, i'm tired of my abs not working, so i bought a gm tech 2 scanner (the usual china copy).

·
Registered
1994 formula 383 stroker
59 Posts
Caliper could be distorted from heat. I had a truck that piston wouldn’t release because of this reason. System would work fine when cold but once it warmed up the piston would bind in the caliper.
Doesn’t the abs control part of the braking? Talking above my knowledge here but seems like I’ve read how contamination in break fluid can create problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
hi,
piston has zero scratches, but i can't tell for sure why the caliper ain't working properly.
brake fluid has been changed a couple of times though.

at this point i'll wait for the scan. really tired of not having a working abs system.

·
DELCO NERD
2,028 Posts
What about the parking brake on the passenger side? Is it releasing properly? That could easily account for the problem you describe.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What about the parking brake on the passenger side? Is it releasing properly? That could easily account for the problem you describe.
hi, i'm not not understanding.
the malfunctioning caliper is on the passenger side. driver side everything is fine, no scratches on the brake disc, no unusual wear on the pads, no dirt in the brake fluid and fluid line.
btw i checked the leverage that attaches the caliper and the parking brake cable, seems fine , it works.
at this point i can't really tell what's wrong.
all of the lines are new. fluid is perfect. bleeding is done. caliper SEEMS to work.
i could try to buy a new caliper, but i can't really find them for cheap. rockauto has them, but they are far from cheap.
resuming: one caliper is not working properly and it's wearing out the pad, and the abs system ain't working properly either (sometimes it works and most of the time it doesn't. sometime i only have the bas light on, some other time i also have the parking brake red light on). don't know if these 2 issues are related.

·
DELCO NERD
2,028 Posts
You said in an earlier post that you "replaced all the lines." Did you replace the brake hose on the caliper in question as well? Collapsed brake hoses can cause the problem you described, because they can effectively act as a check valve for the brake fluid going into the caliper. When you are bleeding the caliper, how are you doing it? Are you doing what is commonly referred to as a "gravity bleed," where you simply open the bleeder screw and check for fluid flow/air bubbles, or are you doing a "pedal bleed" (or something similar), where you are positively or negatively pressurizing the braking system to purge the air?

If you have not replaced the brake hose in question, try gravity bleeding the caliper. Open the bleeder screw up significantly to allow for brake fluid to flow almost to a stream. If you get a steady flow of brake fluid, the hose is not collapsed. If the flow is restricted, the hose is likely the culprit and is a much easier and cheaper item to replace than the caliper.

If you have replaced the brake hose in question, the brake caliper will need to be replaced. (I have checked over this thread a few times and it appears that you have not replaced the caliper in question yet.)

Let us know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi,
i replaced the hoses, yes. i'm sorry , my english ain't that good, i was calling them "soft lines".

also, full pedal bleed.

at this point i'm thinking the caliper is done .

last item ? S9646? are they any good?
any cheaper option?
adding shipping and taxes grand total is 199 euros (discount code already inserted)...

·
DELCO NERD
2,028 Posts
I don't have any first-hand experience with PowerStop brake parts, but I do know that they are a popular aftermarket brand. If you're going for a "performance" look with the red powder coating, they're the only choice that fits the bill. Out of the brands I see, I'd recommend Centric or ACDelco based upon first-hand experience as a professional installer, but I cannot speak to the calipers in question specifically.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
hi all,
back on this.
my tech 2 got lost somewhere during shipping and i got refunded.
so, at the moment, i still don't have one.

i noticed that my positive cable was not properly attached to the terminal . the cable itself had a lil play in the terminal (the terminal was properly attached to the battery pole though).
after fixing this i think the voltmeter shows a lil more more and i'm not having the abs light coming on and off .
it's only been a couple of days so no really proof of anything.

quick question, do you think this could cause to put a voltage too low into the abs module powering it down sometime?

·
DELCO NERD
2,028 Posts
I suppose it could be a cause of the ABS issue, but it seems to me like the functionality of more systems would have been affected by that as well. Perhaps look at it as part of the problem, but not necessarily the whole problem. Continue to monitor the ABS behavior.

·
Administrator
15,109 Posts
To see if low voltage sets a code in the ABS module, review the DTC code lists in the factory service manual. Low voltage will set a code in the PCM, but I think it’s something like 8 volts. Again, the voltage that sets the code will be shown in the manual.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
quick update: after fixing that bad cable-connection abs works and abs light only come on once. just installed new caliper too.

will keep you updated.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
hi guys,
more updates:
new caliper is in. looks like the break pad issue is solved.

so, abs did not have enough voltage and the caliper was ruining my pads.

still keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
i'm still having issues with rear brakes.
for some unknown reason a few months back rear pass caliper got lose and i had to bolt it back in. a few days ago same thing happened to the rear driver side one.
also, i think rear calipers are still dragging a lil or i have some kind of break bias issue because rear wheels are full of brake pad dust, front one are super clean.
at this point everything is new, calipers , lines (both soft and hard ones), pads...
the only components that are not new are the guide pins. gonna replace the them too though.
any thoughts?

·
Administrator
15,109 Posts
Have you reviewed the "BRAKE" section of the factory service manual? There is a good chart of "Symptom" vs. "Causes" on page 5-4 of the 1996 factory service manual (should be same 1997). Section 5B2 covers the rear discs.

As far as amount of "dusting" being worse in the rear pads as compared to the front pads, are all pads the same material and specification?

Is the excessive wear on the rear pads equal on both the inner and outer pads?

What bolts are coming loose - the bolts that hold the caliper to the mounting plate, or the bolts for the guide pins?

Have you checked for excessive "in-out" movement of the axles?

Interesting diagram on Shoebox, showing a critical dimension between the caliper mounting plate on the axle housing and the face of the axle hub, possibly requiring a shim. That measurement would possibly affect the contact of the outer brake pad with the outer surface of the rotor. No idea if the same chart is applicable to 1997. I didn't see it in the 1996 manual, but I may have missed it.

Sorry if you have already answered the questions in the earlier posts, but I didn't read through them all.

Reactions: 1993TransAm

·
DELCO NERD
2,028 Posts
I can't imagine bracket bolts loosening on their own. The torque specs on those are typically around 70-80 ft-lbs.

The new calipers didn't come with new guide pins?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
hi all,
no, calipers came in without new guide pins.

at this point i'm confused and i don't remember what exactly happened.
i can tell for sure that pads are the same front and rear. i'll have to take down the pads to check which exactly are worn out .caliper to plate bolts are the one that are coming lose.
thanks for that last shoebox link.

i'll gather the missing inofs and i'll report back.
thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts