Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1997 firebird 3.8 Y87 5 spd
300 Posts
Hi guys,

kind of a wierd issue here.

when i bought the car 2 years ago, rear passenger side brake pad was destroyed (and so was the disc). abs light was on. rear center brake light was missing.

put all new dics and pads, fixed the rear lights and got the abs working again. i simply tought that the previous owner neglected manteinance.

today, exactly after two years, the rear passenger side brake pad is gone (again). all of the other pads and discs are more super fine. abs light is on and abs ain't working. i keep this car in proper working order, because it's my DD, i simply did not notiece that pad was wearing so fast.

how is it possibile that my car is literally eating the rear passenger side brake pad? what should i check / replace to avoid this issue in the future?

uploading pics

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Sounds like the pad/piston is not retracting.

When you discovered the severely worn brake pad several years ago, did you inspect the caliper and lubricate the slide bolts? Was there any sign of corrosion around the hydraulic piston?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to be honest, i don't remember if there was any rust or issue.

i'll try to take it apart tonight or tomorrow for inspections.

in the meantime i ordered brake pads and a brake caliper rebuild kit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

i tore it apart last night.

the issue is that only the "external" pad is completely worn out (i mean gone). the "internal" one is simply fine.

so the caliper is not moving correctly i think.

what do you think? also are those springs supposed to be like that?

i greased those "pins" pointed with red arrow

thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
The springs (one on each side of the parking brake collar) appear to simply be pushed over the edge of the collar. There is a cross-section drawing on page 5B2-12 of the 1996 factory service manual, which does not show the loop at the end of the spring attached to anything, The purpose is to pull the parking brake collar away from the inner pad when the parking brake is released.

Shoebox has 4 photos of the rear caliper, items 88-91 on this page:

http://shbox.com/1/component_location_views.html

Look at item 88. Rear Caliper View 1

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Did you remove the guide pins to examine for corrosion?

When the piston retracts from the back of the inner pad, the tension on the inside surface of the outer pad should relax as the caliper moves slightly away from the pad. Something is preventing that from happening.

·
Registered
300 Posts
hi guys ,

yesterday night i opened up the caliper . there were some serious rust on one of the pins. caliper was not moving freely.

cleaned everyhting out and greased it. installed new semi metallic pads, changed the fluid and re installed everyting.

it seems to work now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like i did not solve this issue beacuse i have some pads material on the wheel (which means much more breaking on that corner). gonna try to replace both rear calipers and both rear brake lines next. i think this issue is also causing my abs light go on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

hey guys, need some help here. is there a replacement for the hard line on the left? it's rotted and losing fluid. i can't find a spare on rockauto.
97 bird 3.8 5 spd, my dd.

a kit like this will work?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

what do you guys think of these??

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Does your car have traction control (RPO NW9)?

When they changed the site software a while back, we lost the vehicle info that appears under your avatar/screen name. Please go to your profile, click the “About” tab and fill in the vehicle information - year, model, engine, transmiss. People need that info in order to help you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think it's ok now, can you see it under my pic?

anyway mine is a 97 5 spd Y87 without traction control.
i already asked to sales department, but got negative answer.

which are the differences between 97 and 98?
will a 98 kit fit a 97 car? or are they right?

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Traction control has two separate rear brake lines all the way from the ABS motor pack in the engine compartment to the chassis near the rear axle. Then two flexible hoses from the chassis to the axle assembly, and the two separate lines that run along the axle to the calipers.

Without traction control (ABS only) there is only one rear brake line running from the ABS motor pack to the chassis near the rear axle. Then a single flex hose, to a "TEE" bolted on top of the differential housing, and two separate lines that run along the axle to the calipers.

The fact that they call out the parts you linked as "traction control" would seem to suggest the line with and without traction control are not identical. I do NOT know that for a fact, but I believe it is an important question to answer so you do not end up with the wrong parts.

As far as differences between 97 and 98 models, I do not know the answer. On GaryDoug's manuals site, there are "exploded view parts diagrams" for each year of the Firebird. Compare the 97 and 98 diagrams. That may show the differences in years, and the differences between with and without traction control.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
thanks, they say no so i'll take that without risking anything.

i just asked infos for this kit
it's for a camaro though.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
I have never replaced my lines, so I have no way to evaluate the suitability of that specific kit. I would suggest that you look at the 1996 factory service manual, page 5-13 to see if they visually match the parts shown in that diagram. Or possibly the exploded parts document would have a better diagram. And of course, parts sources often use "typical" parts diagrams rather than the "actual" parts diagram, although they should have a disclaimer if they do that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys,
so i replaced all the lines, i also took apart the caliper again, but i did not bleed the brakes yet.
caliper seemed fine once again (piston, o-ring, everything), but i think it's still sticking. it clamps the rotor, but it won't release it . what am i looking for in that caliper ? time to buy a new one?
Automotive tire Wood Twig Bicycle part Knot
Motor vehicle Air gun Bumper Trigger Machine gun

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Attachments

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
make sure the caliper slides and their receptacles are clean and smooth. Use the appropriate lubricant on the slides. I can't think of any other reason than binding slides.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts