Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hy I^m looking for a Ram Air Intake for my 3,4l V6, and now i am found one at the junkyard near me, but it is a Ram Air from am 1999 V8 Car, Does this fit in my V6 or what i have to do for that, Someone have experience in that??

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,522 Posts
The 1998-2002 hood is a significantly different shape, and doubtful that you could make it fit your 1995.

Then there is the issue of the air intake box. The LT1 V8 (1993-1997) owners have successfully adapted an LS1 V8 (1998-2002) ram air setup. It involves mounting the ram air intake box directly on the upper radiator support. Then it's a straight shot from the air box outlet to the throttle body. Long time since I've even seen a 3.4L V6, but I believe the throttle body mounting is tilted slightly downward, and possibly not straight ahead. If that's the case, the connection from the air box to the throttle body may be problematic on the 3.4L V6.

If the connection problem is overcome, there is not much more to be gained with "ram air", that you could achieve with a high quality cold air intake (CAI). It's the cooler air being fed to the engine that makes up most of the small horsepower gain. The "ram air" component is defined by the principle of "velocity head". Using that principle, engineering calculations demonstrate that you MIGHT gain an additional 1% of the engine's rated HP at 100 MPH (161 KPH). Since your engine is rated at 160 HP the theoretical gain at 161 KPH would equal 1.6 HP. And, since the gain is proportional to the square of the velocity, at 80 KPH the gain would be no more than 0.4 HP.

"Ram Air: makes sense on an NHRA Pro Stock race car, because the engine is making 1,400 HP and the terminal velocity in a 1/4 mile race is over 200 MPH. And, the air intake configurations are tested in a wind tunnel to insure that the "recovery" of the available pressure (velocity head) is close to 100%. 200 MPH nets 4% extra HP, and 4% of 1,400 HP = 56 HP.

·
Registered
1997 firebird 3.8 Y87 5 spd
250 Posts
following, i have a ram air 97 hood on my 97 3.8 5 spd bird.

i have a cheap cai that goes into the fender (similar to stock) , but id like to change set up and get air straight from the vents. looking for solutions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts