Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my old radiator cap off, put a new one on. All good. However, I noticed on the new one, there are arrows indicating TVS on one side and RC94 on the other.

ok, so I thought I had better take it off and check which way the arrows are meant to point, however... when taking off the new radiator cap, the plastic cover came off, but not the metal part.

Now, I can not lift the metal part off the radiator.

Looking at the old cap, it does not appear to be much of an issue which way the arrows are pointed, however, now the metal cap is stuck on the radiator and I'm afraid to yank it off.

Is there a trick to removing it? I don't want to risk any damage to the radiator…

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Press down hard on the cap while trying to turn it counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grrr, I needed to push a lot harder! thanks

Hey, what's the deal with the TVS and RC94 arrows, which way should they face?

·
Administrator
14,425 Posts
RC94 is the AC Delco part # for the correct 18 psi cap.

When the cap is correctly tightened, one of the arrows (doesn't matter which one) should point to the overflow/vent pipe connection on the fill neck of the radiator. In effect, toward the firewall,

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
figured as much, the cap itself does not look like it really needs to be in any direction, just thought I'd check, thanks

·
Administrator
14,425 Posts
I think the main purpose of the arrow it to be sure the cap is turned fully clockwise. In reality, you just "know" when you did it right.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my worried when I first looked at it, two arrows, each with a different code on it. They was trying to trick me they was!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts