Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulled the new 400 engine out of my 78 ta because of an oil leak. I think it was the pan gasket but since I have it out I'm replacing the rear main as well. The builder used the BOP engineering 2 piece rear main since they are supposed to be better. So I ordered another from BOP as well as the other gaskets. I have the rear main out already by simply loosening the main caps a tad and pushing the upper seal half around the crank. Pretty easy. My question is when I roll my new seal into the slot in the block should I put some sealer on the outer side of the seal where it seats in the block or just use a skiff of oil on the outer part of the seal so it slides in the block easy? I know I need some sealer on the seal ends where the upper and lower part of the seal meets. Just wasn't sure if I should put some on the other part of the seal where it sets in the block and in the main cap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
No, just on the ends. I'd rotate the seal a quarter inch or so also, so that the cap joints and seal joints aren't inline with each other.

·
Registered
596 Posts
FYI the BOP 2 pc seal is great if your rear main seal area is concentric,if not they can leak.What I do after the install,do a tilt test.Put proper amount of oil in the engine,put it on the lift on a tilt so the oil is against the seal.If it leaks it will most likly leak in the car.The best seal is the new BOP 1 pc seal.My luck with the 2 pc is 50-50,100% with the 1 pc and 100% with the Best Gasket co rope seal.Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts