Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Firebird 350 AT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all! I have a '69 350 car that has an Offenhauser intake with a Holley 4v on it, and I am looking at swapping to a Q-jet, but was not sure if I should look for an original Pontiac factory manifold, or if there was a good aftermarket one that would be a better choice. I am new to Q-jets as everything I have owned to this point has had a 302 or 351W engine in it, and we typically ran Edelbrock stuff on those, but everyone seems to agree the Q-jet is a great carb for cruising and all around performance on a cruiser type ride.

Any input is helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
FWIW....it is hard to beat the stock Pontiac dual plane manifold for what you are doing. Search the net for comments from alot of happy users. I don't remember the exact year but Rocky Rotella published a great piece on the these a while back. I'd also keep the Q-Jet for what you are doing as well.

·
Registered
1969 Firebird 350 AT
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be looking to source both a manifold and a Q-jet here in the near future. The car has had a TH400 put in in place of the 4spd it came with and the kick down was never installed, so its just been one thing after another. My plan was a Tremec manual swap and re-install a Q-jet and manifold for a great highway cruising car, especially with the 3.36 rear end

·
Registered
41 Posts
You will get great help here for sure......but since you are new to Quadrajet carbs.....it would be beneficial to also check out Cliffs High Performance Forum. It's a site devoted to Quadrajets. You will get loads of help there too in setting up your carb the right way and getting off on the right foot.

·
Premium Member
84 T/A 301T T5, 3.73s
1,207 Posts
Holley also had a spread bore. 650, and an 800, that was a replacement for the QJ. I still also like the stock dual plane,Preferably a 72 on under for your 69. (No EGR, and the crossover will fit your heads better) And like mentioned above, Cliff is the go to guy, for all your QJ needs. Great guy, and info.

And I like the fact your talking converting back to a stick. And with the tremec, you could use a lower gear than your 3.36s. (for quicker accell,), and still cruise on the hi-way with the OD. Maybe even a 3.90, if you spend most of your time around town. (but hey, that's just me). Don't forget to post some pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts