Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Newbie here. I am working on a 1969 Bird. The original steering box and pump were leaking so I replaced both, twice! The same problem persist and even my local mechanic is stumped. The fluid continues to leak out of the new box or back flows out of the reservoir. It seems there is way too much pressure coming out of the pump through the lines and into the box, causing the fluid to push pass the new seals in the new box(s). OR back out through the pump itself. What am I missing here? Is there a check valve or something else that is supposed to regulate the pressure to and from the box? Could it be possible that two pumps and two boxes were bad?

Thanks in advanced!

Mike

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sounds like the line has collapsed internally and is creating a restriction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lines inside the box or pump? Both were replaced twice, The only left to change are the hoses, but those were checked. It seems odd that I wold have the same collapsed line issues for 2 boxes and 2 pumps.

·
Registered
576 Posts
change the line. oil breaks down the lines over time. they may look good but could be failing under pressure or worse yet some of the lining may have come loose and is lodged in your steering box. these reman or cheaper box's and pumps have been known to be of poor quality and some have had to return a few to get one that well work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I will try to change them. Seems like the cheaper and easier of the options. If not, I will have to get a better quality box and pump to replace everything again.... Grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Another item to look at is the type of seat on the gear box. Not all power steering hoses and fittings are the same I have had a hose that threaded into the box but had the wrong flare fitting and caused a leak there. Check on this as well.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Ive got a good no leak box thats going to be freed up in the next few days. Im going manual steering box. Less weight and more hp freed up :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.