Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a power steering leak that I have been burying my head in the sand about for a couple of months now. I figured it was a Rack and Pinion leak since I cold not see anything leaking out of the hoses, and I figured that I could resolve when I drop the engine out for a larger project planned... until I made a right turn backing out and smoked out my engine compartment. Seems that the high pressure hose decided to start spraying the exhaust, and scare the hell out of everyone sharing the road with me.

Sooooo, after I sacrificed a sock from my gym bag and a few zip ties, I was able make the hour drive home. Ordered a Replacement hose from RockAuto for $20, and will be waiting its arrival to do the repair. It doesn't appear that this is going to be a very difficult fix, everything seems pretty accessible (key word being SEEMS, the Spark Plugs SEEMED to be an easy job too, until after fighting for hours I figured out a army of swivel sockets was needed).

Judging by the look of things I should probably use a flare nut wrench to get these lines off. Due to a recent break-in, my wrench set was stolen. I don't really feel like ponying up the cash for a new set, and there many pawn shops I can buy them individually...

Anybody know what size wrench or wrenches I will need to do the removal and install of the Power Steering Pressure Hose?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I want to say the high pressure line is a 15mm hex. It's been a couple years since i replaced mine.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
I recently replaced my 5.7L engine pump hose, but I didn't buy any special/flare wrenches. My job was very different than a 3.8L (harder, had to remove the pump). Don't remember the wrench sizes, but they were common.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the 5.7L is much harder then. From what I can see, the hose connections are fairly accessible. I think I can get a wrench around everything with pretty good clearance and without removing the pump. I'm only concerned about stripping the connections with a wrench... I've had pretty bad luck getting lines disconnected without damage. From A/C to Brake Lines, even using flare nut and line wrenches, I find that this car fights me on disconnecting almost anything that carries fluid.

I'm changing jobs next week that pays bi-weekly instead of every week I'm currently getting, which means almost 3 weeks without a check. I'm not in a position to really buy a set of wrenches if I don't have to.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
When I replace a power steering hose, I cut the hose off right before the fastener. That way I can get a socket on it instead of using a wrench. For me, it makes removal a little easier. Seeing that you will chunk the old hose anyway, cutting it off doesn't hurt it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just did this tonight on my 02 ws6 5.7. High pressure hose was leaking and I wanted to delete the cooler on the radiator hose with an aftermarket cooler mounted elsewhere. I had a 3.8 model years ago and it really isn't that bad to do and the High pressure hose off of the pump is usually the suspect that goes into the rack. Believe it's 18mm lower 16mm up top. It'll leak leak leak until it becomes out of control like mine. One thing I did cut the old lines down so I could get a socket on the old OEM flares and it cut the time in half because hands down it's going to be slippery and a knuckle job using open wrenches. New one goes in easy and like a glove.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cut the line and throw a socket on it...

Brilliant!!!

I'm not joking, didn't even consider that at all. I was going to either spend money on flare nut wrenches, or chance stripping them with a regular wrench. This is something I probably would have been slapping my head about after I stripped a line and made my life 10X Harder. This is the exact reason I signed up and frequent this online community.

Thank You guys so much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Got the hose changed. It took a 16MM on the Pump side, and 18MM on the Rack and Pinion side.The pump side hose connection was a real pain. to get on, the power steering pulley was really in the way, but its manageable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts