Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Pontiac Firebird Lover
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Bought a 2000 Trans Am Firehawk (t-top car) just under 4 months ago and noticed the bass is nowhere near as impressive as I would've thought a 10 speaker amplified sound system would. That being said, the bass in the 4 speaker coaxial sound system (which has the stock speakers as far as I know) in my '99 Firebird V6 is VERY impressive. Last night I decided to see if all 10 speakers in the 'Hawk were working and I'm a little puzzled as to what I found. It appears the speakers next to the back seats are VERY quiet and the only sound coming out is all low pitch. No high pitch sound coming from them at all. All other speakers work perfectly. I'm guessing this isn't normal correct? Also would my guess that those two speakers are double speakers (subs and tweeters in one) be correct?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
The sail panel speakers are just subs. You have 4 speakers up front, 4 in the hatch, and the 2 subs. The front and rear speakers are components (driver and tweeter), and even though the rear hatch speakers look like 6x9's on the surface, it's actually the same setup as the door speakers.

No clue why the subs are not working or how to begin troubleshooting the amp.

...was an aftermarket radio installed?

·
Pontiac Firebird Lover
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sail panel speakers are just subs. You have 4 speakers up front, 4 in the hatch, and the 2 subs. The front and rear speakers are components (driver and tweeter), and even though the rear hatch speakers look like 6x9's on the surface, it's actually the same setup as the door speakers.

No clue why the subs are not working or how to begin troubleshooting the amp.

...was an aftermarket radio installed?
Still got the factory head unit and everything. Even came with the 12 disc CD changer. The amp is in the spare tire compartment though isn't it?

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
Factory head units are always first to go in my vehicles. Can't help much there. Download the 4th gen service manual in the Fourth Generation forum. It should give you the wiring diagram and component locations.

Before you get too involved though, remove the subwoofer covers and verify the speaker itself is in good condition. They should be, but you never know until you look. With there being some low frequencies being produced, they're obviously connected to something. The question is, is there a seperate control for the subs, is the bass adjustment set too low, or, are there problems with the speaker, wiring, or amp.

Go after the simple things first like laying eyes on the subs and checking settings on the head unit. Then, I guess, amplifier connections, then wiring.

Good luck!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
If you inspect the sail panel subs and they have the factory black grill cloths over the top, do not just pull those off with the composite spacer that is glued to the speaker frame. If you need to inspect the front of the cones, carefully cut out the grill cloths. If you pull them off, you can damage the cones easily. Of course, they may be gone anyway.

The amp is in the spare tire compartment though isn't it?
Yes it is, just in front of the spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.