Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased my first Trans Am. I'm a retired American military veteran from Texas living overseas in the Philippines. The (US Navy/Air Force) service members were able to order/purchase Mustangs, Camaros and Pontiacs. Unfortunately, the cars had to be abandoned due to the Mount Pinatubo Volcano eruption. Veterans had to leave their much beloved cars behind, which were then sold as scrap to the locals. Over the next (30) years these cars have become increasingly rare. Fortunately, after a long time looking I found a 1977 Trans Am for sale in running condition, newly registered and with good papers from an (82) year old owner that bought it when the base closed.

I had my mechanic search all over the car to find a stamped VIN, because all I have is a 13 digit plate riveted into the trunk for annual registration stenciling. The previous owner spent a lot of money on the paint, interior, engine rebuild and so forth.

VIN Deciphered: 2S-87-P-7-N-251338 = 87 Coupe Base Firebird / 350cc 4 bbl., Single Exhaust / Norwood, Ohio / Production#: 251,338
Here's my questions:

1.) "P" engine code is for 1976, I'm guessing they carried over some remaining engines to 1977?

2.) For ordering parts, how do I find out exactly which 350cc engine I have (Oldsmobile, Chevy, Pontiac)? Or are parts pretty much interchangeable, because right now I need to replace the timing chain.

3.) What specific locations was the VIN number stamped on to Pontiac Firebirds besides the obvious dashboard?

Thanks in advance,

Christopher

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, that’s gotta be the nicest thing driving around Clark/Angeles! I think as far as the engine is concerned you’ll need to check the casting numbers and block code stamps to determine if it’s a pancho/chevy/olds. The Pontiac stamp for a 350 would by just under the heads on the front passenger side of engine and the casting code on the rear just behind number 8. I’m not sure about the Chevy and olds. Good looking car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m not well enough versed to give you meaningful recommendations TBH, but, if you do indeed have the olds engine it looks like that link you sent from summit should suffice.

the one you sent was for the olds 403. Do you have a 403 or 350?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Trans Am with no shaker hood? I know you could delete the bird emblem but never heard of deleting the shaker.
Pontiac engines will have a stand off intake. there will be a gap between it and the lifter valley pan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts