Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was written by Kevin (Fireduck350)

All I can account for is my experience with PMCforless.
I recently got done rebuilding the 305TPI and 700R4 in our 87 IROC. The only modification that was done was I got rid of the stock 305 TPI automatic cam, and installed a L98 cam, the same cam that comes stock in the 305 TPI 5 speed. Being a 87, the car has MAF. Other then the cam swap, the car is stock. Well, I put the daughter board from PCMforless in, with the stock chip attached, just like the Hypertech set up in my 90 Formula 350, and got the car to fire up on the first try to start the engine. Then I went to tune the engine, like set the timing and adjust the valves. Well, as soon as I went to set the timing, and the idle came down a little, the car shut off. So, I decided to go ahead and adjust the valves first. Got the valves adjusted, no difference. The car would idle, but idled high, and the Check Engine Soon light was on the entire time, and I could not get it to clear. I tried to pull the code, and with the code key in, I could not get the check engine light to flash at all. I opened the computer back up to make sure I had installed the chip on the daughter board correctly, and to make sure the daughter board was installed correctly, fully seated and all that good stuff. Everything was fine. I put the stock chip back in, and the car ran, and I could set the timing. Cleared the code after setting the timing, and the car is running pretty good. I still need to get a daughter board or another chip for the car to run correctly, but, it would not do anything but idle at a high rpm with the PCMforless daughter board installed. I sent Alvin an email on the 30th of March about the problem. On 2 Apr I got a response. The response was that I must have installed the chip on the daughter board incorrectly, and I was sent a link to how to install the chip on the daughter board, and how to install it in the computer. I replied that I had checked and double checked the installation, and I installed it correctly, and asked if we could meet, to get the chip corrected, or what he wanted to do at this point. I waited, and received no reply for a few days. I sent another email to Alvin at PCMforless telling him that if something didn't happen, I would have to dispute the charge on my credit card. But what I really wanted was some help getting the chip right. He finally replied on the 9th, that he didn't need to do business with someone that didn't have any patience. Hmmm....no patience. I emailed him about 4 different times asking for help with the problem, he emailed me back once saying that my installation was the problem, and then the next time, he didn't want to do business with someone with no patience. Waited over 9 days for a decent response, and that is all I got. I have returned the daughter board for a refund. We will see how long it takes for him to credit my card back. I have the UPS tracking number so I know it was delivered.
After this experience I did some searching on PCMforless, and found many others with 3rd gens that have had the same experience with Alvin and PCMforless. I can only account for my experience with this company, but I suggest you do your research and see what others say. You may want to check out thridgen.org prior to ordering a chip from PCMforless. I'm not going to say to buy from them or not to buy from them, I'm just saying to look into them, and check out other's experiences with this company before buying anything from them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My car was tuned by Alvin. I've heard that his mail order tunes aren't the greatest. A friend of mine had one of his tunes on his 96 LT1 SS. He wasn't happy with it. Knowing this I still had my car tuned by Alvin. The reason being is that my car was sitting right in front of him allowing him to run it on the dyno and program chips until he liked what the car was doing. I've had my car back since late Oct. 2007 and so far, I've been very impressed with how my car runs and performs. The biggest difference is that he physically had my car in his poccession versus calling him and having him send me a tune. I've heard thru from many folks that mail order tunes are generally set more rich so they don't blow motors up from running to lean. Without your car sitting right in front of the tuner it's really hard to say for them when it comes to exactly what you've done or had done to your car. I tried a mail order tune from LSRacingChips.com because they were recommended highly by someone from another forum. I installed the chip in my car and it loaded my car up so much that I wasn't able to get it running again and had to have it towed to the garage. I think you'll run into the same situation with any mail order tune like I mentioned before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts