Firebird Nation banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 5.7L V8, LT1 348
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Okay so it looks like all three of the relays in question on my car are in working order. I have been on the Shoe Box's website and found some further troubleshooting stuff. I was going to try to 'bridge' pins 5 and 6 on the DLC to see whether or not the fans function but may have blown another fuse in the process. I had the car started and the lights would not raise on it and they did before. When I tried to bridge the two pins together I got a lot of beeping. Either way this failed because the battery in the car is weak. I think it needs to be replaced.

I took the battery completely out, I want to hook it up to a battery maintainer for a few days and see if I can rejuvenate it. Does anyone know that the thread size is on it so I can try to find the right bolts? I am starting to suspect the PCM a little bit or the sensor in the water pump. I guess it could very well be the fan motors. Maybe one was already bad and me taking it out and moving it around caused the other one the fail?

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,029 Posts
The battery hold-down wedge is secured by a 13mm hex bolt. You will need a long extension to get a socket on it.

Be careful when you remove or install the battery. I recommend proceeding in this order:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the positive battery cable.
3. Remove the hold-down bolt and wedge.
4. Remove the battery. NOTE: The battery sits on top of the coolant expansion tank, which is made of plastic. The bottle has a lip to help secure the battery. Make sure to work the flanged bottom of battery from underneath the bottle lip before pulling the battery upwards. It's not uncommon for people to break the lip of the bottle because they're rough housing the battery.

Reactions: TheFoxRocks

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 5.7L V8, LT1 348
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay so it looks like my battery is okay. I was able to charge it up with a battery maintainer over a couple days. I tried using a paper clip on pins 5 and 6 on the DLC while the key is turned to the on position. It does not seem to operate the fans. I am not sure if I did something wrong or not but it seems like I am slowly making progress. Unfortunately before I got any further I am probably going to have to jack the car up. I am going to check the other fuse under the hood that is mentioned as well but I believe I already did that a long time ago when someone else mentioned it to me here.

So like I have said it could be the wires going from the relay to the fans or the fan motors themselves. I guess it could still also be the sensor in the water pump which makes some sense since I banged it already with the old water pump. Unfortunately I need to jack up the car again to start checking the the rest of the stuff.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts