Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi this is my first post here.

i have a 78 firebird formula that i am planing to restore.Its in decent shape on the outside small rust spots and cracking/ fading paint. Im an autobody tech so dents, rust, and cracking paint is no problem bum im only 18 and i dont know too much about painting older cars. It currently has the classic black and gold paint and id like to keep it that way.

My questions are:

what kind of base coat should i use?

what kind of clear?

how should i prep the car?

primer or sealer the whole car?

approximate cost of whole paint job? (not including things like equipment. ive got that covered)

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
My question is, are you planning to go original? I ask because these cars were painted with acrylic lacquer from the factory.

If you want base coat clear coat paint job, any good brand of paint will have the products you need. Dupont, RM, PPG, even Sherwin Williams has good quality auto paint.

For first line company paint, the price will make your eyes pop. For everything you need expect to pay between $700 and $900 for the paint materials.

If you go with the economy brands of paint like Limco or Nason, still expect $400 to $600 to get what you need.

So on to what you need. Since you are restoring an old car, you will need to go to bare metal on the whole car. There's no telling what you might find underneath the old paint.

Do any repairs to metal that are needed. A restoration is different than the production work you are being taught at tech school. Metal work is the order of the day. You either replace panels or cut the bad spots out and weld in new metal. Working dents is the proceedure, not pulling them out and slapping bondo in .

On my last body job, a 82 trans am badly rusted around the windshield & t-top bar. And a caved in rear from an accident, I used less than a quart of bondo on the whole car. And most of it got sanded off.

After working body, epoxy primer is used because of it's rust hold out properties. Then some kind of primer - surfacer. I believe Urethane is the commonly used product at this time.

Then comes the basecoat. Then the clearcoat. The major brands all have good quality basecoats and clearcoats.

There's a company on the internet that sells quality painting products at reduced costs. Their color selection is more limited than major paint companies, but you should be able to find a black & a gold to suit you. You can go base-clear. But you can also go with a single stage urethane for both colors.

They can save you some major $$$ on a paint job. get at http://www.thecoatingstore.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts