Firebird Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine there is no right or wrong answer for this question, but I would still appreciate input from the forum. Am considering repainting a second gen Trans Am. It was repainted the original colors about 8 years ago, but has some minor rust. Unfortunately I really dislike the color. Practically everything else on the car is original and all codes match. Would it be a huge sin to entirely change the color of the whole car when I have the rust addressed? What are pros and cons, in your mind, of changing or keeping the same? If repainted, factory colors or whatever I want? Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
If your 2nd gen is a rare and valuable car like a 70 trans am, then I would keep it the original color to retain it's value. But if a garden variety firebird, paint it any color you like. But do the job right. Nothing looks worse than a nice paint job when you open the doors, hood, trunk, etc, and see a different color.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your 2nd gen is a rare and valuable car like a 70 trans am, then I would keep it the original color to retain it's value. But if a garden variety firebird, paint it any color you like. But do the job right. Nothing looks worse than a nice paint job when you open the doors, hood, trunk, etc, and see a different color.
I believe it is a garden variety... 79 Firebird Formula with a 4.9 301... and 110% agreed on doing it correctly, not half-assed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's your car. If doing it to please yourself then do so. The cost will not add to the value only make you happier owning it. Who cares if the next owner likes it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy its your choice,

My was blue and its now also blue but a little mordern blue I have taken.

Take would you like to use.

Regards
Sascha

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm always in favor of keeping the original color, but only if you like it. You drive it, and look at it, so if you hate it that's no fun. However, if it were me I'd choose a factory color from 1979. There is surely a color you like among those? By the way, what is the original color?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always in favor of keeping the original color, but only if you like it. You drive it, and look at it, so if you hate it that's no fun. However, if it were me I'd choose a factory color from 1979. There is surely a color you like among those? By the way, what is the original color?
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I would not be committing a grave sin... It is currently brown color.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
A buddy of mine has a brown 77. I know over the years he has had thoughts of changing it. Personally I like the brown on his. But frankly, the brown used in 79 just isn't as sweet so I can understand why you would want to change it.

If you do make the change, do it right. Take the car down and paint every thing that can be seen and even places that can't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was said above...its your car. Do what makes you happy. As a rule, keeping a numbers-matching car in its factory colour aids in retaining its resale value, but then some rules are made to be broken.

A friend of mine had a brown 78 TA with the original drivetrain that he sold after he repainted it black and added the German script. Sometimes, "factory" is trumped by what looks better.

Another friend of mine is an appraiser. He's always telling stories about how some car owners brag about how 'stock' their rides are. However, 'stock' or 'rare' doesn't always equate to desirable.

·
Registered
596 Posts
For Gods sake,paint it a color that will help the resale when your done with it and not hurt it.Think ahead!Tom

·
Not a Newbie
1,073 Posts
My 73 was born a Florentine Red Esprit, it is now a Formula clone sporting Mercedes Iridium Silver paint. I don't think anyone asked, but what color is your interior ?

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
If you are restoring the car to showroom condition very few people would judge you critically if you painted it another factory color for that year. Even at national Pontiac shows. Most don't compare the body tag or build sheet or dealer invoice to it's current features. They just want the car to look like what was available in the year it was made.

My soapbox moment, lol. Is the car numbers matching, original engine, transmission & rear end? If so, keep it that way. They are getting rarer every day. You don't have to keep them in the car, just keep them. If you sell the car, they go with the car.

If you are not restoring the car to showroom condition, you have more room to play. Some will tell you that a numbers matching car loses value painted a different color, but I don't believe it does. More important is the quality of the paint job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just traded a 1980 corvette for a 1976 TA in Goldenrod and bad black dyed interior. It's stock, except for the Edelbrock intake and carb. This winter, new interior and full respray with fenders off.

My question is; I like goldenrod and I love black... I'm torn between keeping it the stock color versus another black TA.

What would you do?

Quick question: if I keep it goldenrod and back to a white interior, does the dash stay black with a black headliner? The dash is perfect and looks original, but it's black.

Thanks!

TJS

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, pretty sure all the cars with white interiors had black dashes and consoles, headliners and trim were white though. I kinda doubt I would mind a black headliner in one. The only problem I might have would be the white/black contrast in the back seat area.

Black cars are nice when clean, but don't stay clean looking very long. They show every little imperfection as in rock chips, door dings and imperfect bodywork. But they look great when clean.

Probably should have started a new thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts