Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Living the Dream.........
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find a article on Opti-Spark complete replacement.
Could have Dreamed it with all my troubles with LT1

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
Factory service manual has detailed procedure. Free download:

Shoebox has a cam swap guide and an install guide. The removal and replacement of the Opti is included in those guides.

You need to tell us the year of your LT1, since there are two different Opti configurations, depending on the year. Go to your profile, click on the about tab, and fill in the info about your car. That way it will appear under your name/avatar in every post.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
94 I was looking for a all new system as of 2021
Have I lost my mind

·
Administrator
14,577 Posts
How did you determine the current Opti is not operating correctly?

Do you mean a total replacement “system” such as the EFIConnection 24X, or the Torqhead?

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm selling the car and the Opti Spark is the weakest link on a LT1
the EFIConnection is what I should do have to cut my losses it is what it is

·
Administrator
2,576 Posts
EFIConnection, $1,800+. Petris Enterprises OptiSpark, $650. Remanufactured OEM OptiSpark, $450. ...Cheap Chinese clone (literally all others) $150+. I'd go Petris or Reman OEM. I did go Reman OEM actually and I have no regrets 7 years later. ...after 7 years of replacing clones under warranty every 12-18 months.

The OptiSpark IS NOT A WEAK LINK. It has an undeserved reputation. Stay out of deep puddles and undercarriage car washes, and replace the radiator hoses in a timely manner, they literally last forever. ...just change the cap and rotor around 80/100,000 miles under normal conditions.

Get a cheap Optispark, and enjoy a high failure rate, but hey, free lifetime replacement warranty.

Don't screw the next owner with a literal nightmare, but don't sink 3x to 4x more than you need to either. Reman OEM or Petris OptiSparks will last a lifetime. Nothing else though, there are no others. There is only the conversion, which, if you're not keeping it, waste of money.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for info
Put in 3 Opti's in 25years with 35,000 miles total miles
It's never been rained on
Spray off front rims & it sputs for a couple miles
It just seems wrong that happens
Thanx Again Guys

·
Administrator
14,577 Posts
Take the high voltage function out of the Opti, and it eliminates 99% of the problems, as long as the Opti has a quality (typically Mitsubishi) optical module.

Also sounds like you need to upgrade the plug/coil wiring if it's that sensitive to moisture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts