Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to attempt fixing my t-rop leaks with a bit of elbow grease, silicon and packing tape.

The tape is to hold things in place to give the silicon a good change of making contact with as much of the frame and rubber as possible.

The silicon I have put between the frame and the t-top (where it screws on) and also along the top rubber edge between the outer rubber edge and the metal frame. I may need to clean up a little bit of the outside trim when I'm done.

I've even used part of a straw in order to re-manufacture the lost weather strip on the back of the frame. There is a channel that runs behind the frame and because the weather strip was worn on the edge, I don't think it was running out as far as it should... solution, make my own tube with part of a large straw and silicon seal around it.

I have screwed the metal frame onto the t-top, hooping that the silicon will fill the gaps and seal up nice and dry (another 20 hrs wait).

Next step, more silicon behind the rubber, then screw the rubber into the frame.

Wish me luck !

Note: The problem was not so much leaking, but pouring down when hitting the brakes. The rubber area was holding water and would pour out like a tap when stopping. A little bit when accelerating as well. My objective is to minimise the water getting into this area and also ensuring that if water does get it, it goes out where it SHOULD!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Good luck with the results. Lord knows the only thing keeping my car on the road is *several* unconventional repairs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2k, I have considered this... for the most part, silicon "should" come off pretty easily if needed.

with this sort of work, there is always risk. I am hoping that the risk is minimal. If it stick too well, then when it comes time to replace the rubber, then I will have to work harder at getting it cleaned up. I figure it will take many years before I need to do this... it might be a small price to pay for dry driving! :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yup. Even if they become permanent, it's not the worst thing in the world. Will still look good.

Question is...are the t-tops themselves leaking or is it just the weather stripping surrounding them on the frame of the car?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly think it's all about the weather strip. The rubber itself looks good. After 3 days of rain, I wiped down the car and there was still water between the rubber and the outer plastic trim. It looks like it was holding water behind the rubber. Fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts