Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
First of all, I want to say that if you are running a K&N Filter, I would dump it asap. From what I have been hearing, the K&N allows in a lot of dirt, which explains the high silicone and copper. The best way to test an air filter's efficiency is with Used Oil Analysis, and according to the people who perform these analysis' all the time, K&N allows a lot of dirt to enter the engine, so I was expecting the high silicone count.

This is an oil Analysis from Blackstone, which I received today. This was my first run with SSO, after switching from Chevron Supreme oil. I immediately noticed a much smoother idle and an increase in fuel mileage after the switch. The Durango has 106,000 miles on it's clock. Absolutely no oil has leaked from the engine since switching to AMSOIL.

Many of these miles (at least 3k miles) were accumulated off road in the Nevada Desert with a full load of camping equipment, family of 5, a dog, and a cargo rack full of gold prospecting equipment (we were camping for 8 weeks).

I am using a K&N filter, which I had just cleaned after the oil change, so I am probably going to try an AMSOIL air filter with the next oil change and perform another oil analysis at 11k miles with the next batch of SSO so we can do a comparison between air filters. Seems the K&N allowed a lot of dirt into the engine. I had to add one quart of oil at 10k miles. Either way the TBN looks great and I should be able to get at least another 2k miles out of this OCI.

Another thing I should have added to the first post was on many days during out trip we would let the Durango sit and idle for 30 to 60 minutes at a time since our kids would usually fall asleep on the ride to our destination so we would roll down the windows and leave the AC on during the summer heat. We would then just prospect for an hour or so next to the Durango. Our engine was put through harsh conditions, so considering the conditions, it seems the analysis looks good. I am happy with the results and can't wait to have another run under normal conditions.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Interesting Bob. Keep us updated on it.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Hm very interesting Bob. I run K&N in ALL my vehicles. I have for like forever. I know they flow more, and more flow has to come from less restriction. In every vehicle I have put them in, have noticed an improvement in response and HP. I know they have to let some dirt in, it's a trade off of more flow. My thinking tho, is the particles are so small that they don't do any harm. My TA cyl's still looked like the day I honed them, when I took the heads off this year for gasket change. Granted, the TA doesn;t see as much dirt/dust as a pickup may. But it has it's fare share of gravel road driving, considering I live almost at the end of the pavement in my area.

The oil analisys may have particulates in it, are they from internal wear, or could they be compunds in the dust that migrated into the oil? Presently, I am running Royal Purple, and change on a 10,000Km/6000Mi interval's. I am curious about Amsoil. I know here, it's ALOT more expensive than even the RP that I use. Royal Purple run's me, with my discount, about $8/litre

Also, Wouldn't changing oil more frequently result in cleaner oil? Less chance for the particulates to build up? But yet, I think the factory reccomended intervals are WAY to close together. Dodge wanted every 3000Km on my Dakota. Would almost be more $ in oil than in fuel!!!!!!

But I'd like to see side by side comparisom of K&N and a paper Fram, for example on how much particulates it lets through. I've done the basic air flow test, seen how much MORE air a K&N flows, but that doesnt tell how good it filters

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Hm very interesting Bob. I run K&N in ALL my vehicles. I have for like forever. I know they flow more, and more flow has to come from less restriction. In every vehicle I have put them in, have noticed an improvement in response and HP. I know they have to let some dirt in, it's a trade off of more flow. My thinking tho, is the particles are so small that they don't do any harm. My TA cyl's still looked like the day I honed them, when I took the heads off this year for gasket change. Granted, the TA doesn;t see as much dirt/dust as a pickup may. But it has it's fare share of gravel road driving, considering I live almost at the end of the pavement in my area.
You may be correct Dan, and I put the K&N through the most extreme dust conditions imaginable during our camping/prospecting trip, so maybe I am not being fair to the K&N filter. The dust here in Nevada can be extremely fine and I put thousands of off road miles on this air filter. Reflecting back on the conditions, the filter actually performed very well considering this fact. I checked my e-mail at 2 am and then posted this and didn't really have time to think about the results. To be fair to K&N, I will run it again in normal conditions and see how it performs. I do know that some of the people I have talked too who perform these tests say the K&N can let in a little dirt (silicon).

The oil analisys may have particulates in it, are they from internal wear, or could they be compunds in the dust that migrated into the oil? Presently, I am running Royal Purple, and change on a 10,000Km/6000Mi interval's. I am curious about Amsoil. I know here, it's ALOT more expensive than even the RP that I use. Royal Purple run's me, with my discount, about $8/litre
Ya, these particles are common when dirt get's past the air filter. I actually used an oil pump to draw the oil from out of the dipstick tube to prevent contamination. I can probably get you a good deal on AMSOIL if you want Dan, you will get it at dealers pricing if you get it through me if you decide to give it a try.

Also, Wouldn't changing oil more frequently result in cleaner oil? Less chance for the particulates to build up? But yet, I think the factory reccomended intervals are WAY to close together. Dodge wanted every 3000Km on my Dakota. Would almost be more $ in oil than in fuel!!!!!!
Depends on what you mean by "cleaner oil". Does anyone really want to throw a way good oil? I mean you could change it out every 1k miles if you wanted real clean oil, but the oil your dumping is perfectly good. If an oil has a good TBN number, shows low or normal engine wear, and still has plenty of additives left, why would someone dump it at 5K miles? The best thing to do IMO is to use a good air and oil filter and to get all the life you can out of your oil.

But I'd like to see side by side comparisom of K&N and a paper Fram, for example on how much particulates it lets through. I've done the basic air flow test, seen how much MORE air a K&N flows, but that doesnt tell how good it filters
I like that idea and I am going to test it out. I will make the test fair and clean and use the K&N for another 11k miles after I change the oil. I will then have another oil analysis performed and then I will switch it out to another type of air filter and we can start to do some comparisons. I know AMSOIL is supposed to have a great air filter that I want to try too. I will continue to use blackstone for the oil analysis since I just don't like to use AMSOIL's oil analysis when I want non-biased information.

The results of this analysis are very good, and it appears that under normal conditions, I could easily get 17k miles out of this oil if the TBN holds up. I will see where we are at with the next oil change at 11k miles of normal driving and take it from there. Overall, I am very happy with the results. The oil was put through sever conditions and seems to have preformed very well.

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, I should have probably used a good synthetic in my steering system too!
I bet the excessive idling during the trip was what caused my rack and pinion to go out on me! For those who don't know, my rack and pinion started to make a grinding noise after I let the engine idle too long during the trip. I wonder if a good synthetic would have made a difference?

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
You got a PS cooler on the Durango?? I don't know if the Dakota got one, but I put one on the TA, from a 90's Silverado. Put cooler in the return line.

·
Larry
893 Posts
I am very interested in this study you are doing Bob. In Southwest Virginia, in the heart of Appalachia I own a home in the mountains. On the sides of the road, you can see 6" of coal dust sometimes. I only drive the Jeep or the Chevy truck, as I have to go up a gravel driveway a mile long to reach my house on top of the mountain. The coal dust can get in places in your vehicle you can't even imagine. After reading your post, I am weary of how much of this coal dust is gettting into my engine. I am interested in seeing your results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts