Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why wont my 96 bird crank. I have replaced fuel pump and relay and still no fuel getting to motor checked all fuses and exhausted my knowledge can anyone help. Are there some hidden fuse or something I am missing.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
When you saw your car won't crank. do you mean starter turns engine over and engine doesn't run. Or do you mean. starter doesn't turn engine over.

Until you get back with answer I will go on the assumption that starter cranks engine but engine won't run.

So you've replaced the fp & it's relay. Can you hear fp run for a couple of seconds when you turn key to on? This is called key on prime. So to really verify pump working, get a fuel pressure gauge and attach it to fuel rail. Do key on prime. Do you have about 43 psi at gauge after prime? If yes, you have good fuel pressure and we will change our focus.

If no, you need to find out why fuel pressure is not right. If no fuel pressure, find out why pump is not running. If low pressure find out why.

If fuel pressure is good we will move to the fuel injectors. To test an injector to see if it's opening, you need a noid light or a 2 lead test light. You plug the noid or test light into both wires of fuel inj connector. Have assistant crank engine. Does light blink on and off. If yes, injectors are getting electrical signal to open.

If no, injectors are not opening. If you don't have noid or test light, spay some starting fluid into throttle body while assistant cranks engine. Does engine run now? If yes, your fuel injectors are not opening.

One last thing before I let you run the tests I've outlined. Does your security light come on with the key turned on, then go out after a few seconds? This is normal vats security operation. If security light stays on you have a vats problem. When security light stays on, pcm will not open fuel injectors.

You can read up on vats @http://www.shbox.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts