Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello

I replaced the steering column in my car and now have a no start condition . Before I start digging, I figure I will post here and wait a day.

lets forget the column was replaced for now.

All contacts were sprayed with contact cleaner before reassembly

I used the same ignition switch ( electrical) which has 2 plugs and the actuator moves freely and was disconnected from the key for test operation. I did have another switch and tried it as well with the same results.Also connected a flat ribbon cable

ground.

There is a small wire that gets grounded to the column plate that gets unbolted to drop the column.

is there anything else I should check or may of forgotten?

the car is pretty much gutted.

Neutral Safety Switch has been shorted and column sleeve has been adjusted.

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
576 Posts
Chuck, I guess you jumpered the Neutral Safey switch like we talked and its still not working? If I were you I would verify with a meter that the ignition switch is working up to the point it connects to the car harness. and you can also verify the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,

i have not looked any further today . I assume if I can move the actuator rod by hand, I can rule out the ignition cylinder lock. I will blow up my diagram and hunt down the gremlin tomorrow....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have played with the car today and I have 2 connectors that go into the ignition switch. they both have +12 volts on the red wires. According to the diagram below, this goes to the fusebox and since I have power, I assume the issue is not here. if I try to jump the two red wires together, I still get nothing.. Tried another switch as well.

If I jump 12 volts from the battery to the starter switch wire, the car cranks. I also get 12 volts switched from the key so I assume the switch is good. Tried another switch as well.

The start wire from solenoid to firewal bulk connector would be the only logical thing left to check but will need to remove the brake booster for good access.

Any thoughts before I start to dismantle the bulk connector / fuse panel.

I do have a dome light, dash lights and headlights that all work.

Chuck

I went out after dinner and I dont know what I did but the dam thing started. Frustrating gremlins...

Attachments

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
Before going to all that work, why not use a long wire to jumper from the neutral safety switch to the starter terminal as a last test. If that passes, the connectors or the purple wires going to them are the only things left. Make sure to check both terminals of the safety switch.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gary,

The NSS has been spliced together at one timeboth ways and it did not work. Now that I got that straightened, I am going through all the wire connections cleaning them with a small fire/ brus and using contact cleaner and dielectric grease. I am currently troubleshooting a battery drain issue on a gutted interior and think its the alternator. At this point I dont know what it was that baffled me for a few days but i dont feel comfortable without knowing so i am taking my time and going through the harness to make sure anything that may of been rigged through the years is fixed and addressed. its not really that bad as age is probably the issue. I appreciate the feedback

the NSS is being connected to the B & M shifter and I am running reverse lights and parking lights to the shifter

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Even back as far as 1970 the GM ignition switch should have multiple input wires for power going in and multiple output wires for power going out of switch. Be sure to make sure all input wires have battery voltage and the output wires for each function have voltage when switch turned to on, accessory, and start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hope You Got it going. Didn't catch why you changed the column. I Change my 69 from std col to Tilt and had the same prob. Old harness had to be reversed on the ign switch and harness was stiff and a wire broke during the twist. Hard to find. These harness are old and brittle and don't like to be moved! Was a heck of a job but the tilt is great!. Thought you might like to know others have shared this pain... Frank Woodard

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this topic is closed from my point of view.

All wires were gone through/ cleaned and reassembled to hopefully remove the gremlin factor..

Thanks

Chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts