Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79 firebird has been very weird recently. It was running for a solid two seconds before it shut off and died. I checked for fuel and vacuum problems and I have none. So that leads me to spark. I have no spark all of a sudden. Every time I check I have none. I replaced my ignition module which should have fixed the problem but just hasn’t. My coil gives me a solid 12 V and the spring underneath appears to be ok when I sanded it to clean it. My connections at the distributor also seems fine because they can be very difficult to take on and off. What is wrong???

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
This appears to be a repeat/continuation of the problem you were getting help with in this thread:

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
But you had pictures and a clearer explanation of all the steps you had taken.

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
OK…. It’s up to you. I've been helping people on sites like this for more than 20 years…. so what do I know. SMH

Reactions: Aus78Formula

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might have 12 at the coil but that doesnt mean you have voltage out. Pull the coil out of the cap and look at the connection…then stick an ohm meter on it

·
Registered
336 Posts
I guess I’ll throw in my .02 here. You mentioned in two different places replacing the ignition module or the ignition coil. Just for clarifications sake, here is a diagram with nomenclature. Please advise which part you replaced just so we are all on the same page.
Product Font Parallel Auto part Drawing

For the record too, whatever you replaced, doesn’t always mean they’re in good condition. Can count many times a new part, especially electrical, didn’t operate as it should right out of the box so just keep that in mind if all else fails.

That said, gotta be missing something. You verified you have 12v on the wire going to the batt terminal?

If so what did you test next?

If you replaced the coil, did you double check your wires?

·
Registered
1976,Firebird,Formula, 350 Engine,350 Trans.
156 Posts
If you 12 V to the distributor and you have replaced the module and the coil doesnt look burnt next in line is the pole piece or pickup coil. The vacuum advance pulls the pole piece and tiny two wires have a habbit of breaking inside their insulation where you cannot see it right next to the pole piece. I have replaced many when i worked in a car dealership.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I’ll throw in my .02 here. You mentioned in two different places replacing the ignition module or the ignition coil. Just for clarifications sake, here is a diagram with nomenclature. Please advise which part you replaced just so we are all on the same page. View attachment 231204
For the record too, whatever you replaced, doesn’t always mean they’re in good condition. Can count many times a new part, especially electrical, didn’t operate as it should right out of the box so just keep that in mind if all else fails.

That said, gotta be missing something. You verified you have 12v on the wire going to the batt terminal?

If so what did you test next?

If you replaced the coil, did you double check your wires?
Yeah so I replaced what is labeled coil (75-82 on right) and module (75-82 on left) I have 12V from my BATT and my coil as well reads 12V. And yes I’ve triple checked all my wires in and around my distributor, cleaned all grounds and cleaned all contacts within my distributor. I feel something is being missed because my coil gets the correct reading but no power goes to any of the wires.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you 12 V to the distributor and you have replaced the module and the coil doesnt look burnt next in line is the pole piece or pickup coil. The vacuum advance pulls the pole piece and tiny two wires have a habbit of breaking inside their insulation where you cannot see it right next to the pole piece. I have replaced many when i worked in a car dealership.
I suppose it could be the pole piece, is there a way of verifying this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Like i said the vaccume advance has pulled on those wires many times. Some times it will act up some times not untill it has broken the wire completely and pulled apart creating a open circuit. You can ohm the two wires. Move them around when you check for a open.
It's the pole piece

·
Registered
156 Posts
Also did your new module come with a packet of what looks like silicon grease? It is applied to the under side of the module to help with heat transfer

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any update? When you pull the distributer out to replace the pole piece before you put it back in the engine hook up the hot lead and a ground and spin the gear, it should throw sparks, hands away from the top.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts