Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! just recently purchased a 97 firebird and drove it a few days, then got in it to go home and it wouldnt start. no crank. security light was on. after doing some research, installed some resistors under the dash, and the security light went off, but no crank still. New battery, power at starter(sparks when we try to jump it at the solenoid, but doesnt crank), and all the accs work. radio, headlights, inside lights, fans, horn, etc. I have noticed the radio screen turns off(music still plays) when i turn the headlights on. dont know if thats a seperate issue. Where should I go from here>?

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Manual or auto trans? There's an interlock on the clutch or on the trans selector that can prevent power from reaching the solenoid.

But when you indicate when you jumper 12 volts to the solenoid, where the purple wire connects, starter still doesn’t crank. Have you got 12 volts on the black wire from the battery to the starter?

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,093 Posts
With regard to the radio screen "turning off" with the headlights on...is your instrument panel dimmer turned down?

By the way, the PASS-Key II (anti-theft) system does not prevent the car from cranking. It prevents the fuel injectors from pulsing.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
The theft deterrent relay (TDR) prevents the starter from cranking if it doesn't get the ground from the body control module (BCM - 96/97), which requires the resistor match.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,093 Posts
Ah, I stand corrected.

I was speaking on my recollection of a PASS-Key II-related issue I had with my car many years ago involving worn contacts on the key's resistor pellet. I recall the car cranking while the "SECURITY" light was flashing, but not starting. I looked at the relevant diagram on shbox.com (for 1995, but it states it is similar to 1993) and the Theft Deterrent Module does provide the ground for the starter solenoid. (Maybe my memory is fuzzy after all these years.) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts