Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Effective May 1, New Jersey is eliminating tailpipe emissions testing for all cars 1995 model year and older. They feel with only 200,000 cars that age still on the road, and that about 3,500 of those being taken off the road every month, there is a diminishing return in checking emissions.

Given the fact they stopped all safety checks several years ago, it would appear that there will no longer be inspections of any kind for 1995 and older vehicles :D . I need to verify that part.

Of course the environmentalists are up in arms about it, and fighting it.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-will-eliminate-tailpipe-emissions-tests-for-older-cars-1.1534736

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sweet. 94 just grazed by eh? :)

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup...... :) :D :) :D

Maybe I'll keep it..... it was really being wasted sitting in the garage and not being able to get to the track.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
That's great news.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The NJ motor vehicle website confirms there is no inspection of any kind for 95 and older automobiles. Before your next inspection would have been due, owners will receive a letter telling them there is no longer an inspection, that they should remove the old inspection sticker, and includes a certificate that you can show a police officer if he asks why you don't have a sticker.

My problem with inspection was that the engine is obviously heavily modified, with a huge amount of noise from a solid roller custom cam. It would actually pass rolling emissions.... the cam was selected and the high-end aftermarket engine management system carefully tuned to pass. But the minute they opened the hood it would.be obvious the engine was highly modified.

It was still possible to "get" a sticker, although I don't know the details. Buddy with a 1,350 HP 97 Camaro 30th SS convertible had one. Car could be driven on the street.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.