Firebird Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my new trans back Sunday. I wanted to go to an overdrive trans and was trying to decide between 2004R 700R4 and 4L80E. after visiting with a friend that owns a trans shop I decided on the 700r4. he is an avid drag racer and a pontiac enthusiast. He prefers the 700 because of the larger internals. And the cost of the E controller and build ruled out the 4l80e. He has built a few for guys at the track that have been in the mid 10 sec times. He gave me the idea of the JW ultra bell mod saying he has done a bunch on power glides but always wanted to try it on a Pontiac 700r4 and if I bought the bell housing he would do the swap. He cut off the factory bell housing and then machined it flat on the mill. The new one bolts threw the pump housing it's a dual pattern BOP and Chevy. I also found a tail shaft housing from an 86 Chevy caprice that moves the trans mount to the same location as my th400 cross member. So other than a new drive shaft it's pretty much a bolt up swap. I went with a 10" jim hand special Contential torque converter none lock up. This converter will act like a stock converter until you find traction and apply some big torque to it then it well flash around 3000. As far as the internals they are from a 91 700r4 and newer 4l60e. Gm made a lot of improvements threw the years and much of these parts are interchangeable. Trans go supplied the valve body modification kit as well as the none lock up valve. Now in a few more weeks we will see how well it holds up to 600 ft/lb the new motor should make.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Looks like a nice piece ! :yes

With that low gear ratio, and the low end torque of your new engine, street tires don't have a chance. :smiling:

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
That should be a nice upgrade! That bellhousing is pretty stout looking. What rear gears are you running?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That should be a nice upgrade! That bellhousing is pretty stout looking. What rear gears are you running?
3.42 rear gears. With the 3.06 1st gear it will be like having a 3.90 rear on the start. Definitely going to need help with traction

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I like the idea of being able to adapt a pontiac bell housing to a 70044 or 4l60e trans. It looks like it came from factory like that. Your trans builder did a good job.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Good choice on the transmission. The 700 eats up less hp than the 4L80 does, weights a lot less, and with enough rear gear, it frees up a lot of loading on the internals making it plenty strong. A 700 with a vette servo, hardened sunshell, HD ban, planets with the oil flinger, and a Z pack installed will easily handle a blown big block. That JW bell is nice, SFI approved as well :)

When you go to install it, Im curious about the trans mount position. Take some pics of the cross member set up, would be great info for anyone wanting to upgrade to an OD unit. I kept the lockup function on mine since essentially the lockup feed is also the lube circuit for the OD planets and I wanted lower cruising RPM. Im guessing they just removed the clutch and application piston and plugged the feed hole in the end of the input shaft. As soon as I hit 4th, the converter locks up hydraulically off of a pressure switch located by the servo.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good choice on the transmission. The 700 eats up less hp than the 4L80 does, weights a lot less, and with enough rear gear, it frees up a lot of loading on the internals making it plenty strong. A 700 with a vette servo, hardened sunshell, HD ban, planets with the oil flinger, and a Z pack installed will easily handle a blown big block. That JW bell is nice, SFI approved as well :)

When you go to install it, Im curious about the trans mount position. Take some pics of the cross member set up, would be great info for anyone wanting to upgrade to an OD unit. I kept the lockup function on mine since essentially the lockup feed is also the lube circuit for the OD planets and I wanted lower cruising RPM. Im guessing they just removed the clutch and application piston and plugged the feed hole in the end of the input shaft. As soon as I hit 4th, the converter locks up hydraulically off of a pressure switch located by the servo.
The tail shaft housing I used relocates the trans mount to 27.75 wich is the same as a th400. The trans go non lock up kit I am told takes car of rediverting the fluid for lubrication.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Well dangit, now I know lol. Wish I woulda had that tail housing but Ive already modified my cross member to work with the std mount location. Great score all the way around!

·
scribbles of incoherent thought
19 Posts
Yes, Thanks for sharing! happy wrenching

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
David, whats the status of this? Did it all turn out good?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Derrick, I was going threw some old post since I have not had much time on here lately. The 700r4 installed like a champ and is working great. about 1500 miles on it and the new motor. very pleased, good fuel mileage, a lol less noise on highway trips, and once the tires stop smoking it shifts very, well no hard bangs like the th400 just quickly and positively in the next gear. less stress on the internals. now if I can just finish up my sons new house were building and get to drive it more.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Thats great news! Im glad it worked out so smoothly. Mine didnt. I pulled pan and valve body yesterday and found a sticky 3-4 relay valve. Freed it up and now I have all 4 gears again :)

Im still considering getting another crossmember and that same tail housing you have to I can have a stock member location!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts