Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I found this site from a google search looking for parts and info on a Firebird I've owned since 92 or 93. I've never driven it, and for the most part has sat in covered storage since 95 or so. Given those years, you can tell I'm sort of an older guy.

I found the car in a back yard off an alley behind a small shop I used to work at back then (I was 22 at the time). I picked it up for 3 bills with a thrown rod. (I had to pay the used car dealer the $300 to get the title, the family that had it basically gave it to me to get it out of the yard (they were moving). In the mean time I got married, raised a family, and ended up moving due to my career. I've paid more in storage unit rent than the car is worth, but I have it, and that's what counts to me. I'm not retired, or even close, but I have a shop now and I want to get this car running.

When I bought it, it was primered rattle can grey, which washed off to reveal a pretty nice gold paint job (Solar Gold.) I've been told it may be a Y88, but I don't know for sure. It is a Van Nyes car, and Y88 isn't on the cowl tag. I plan to send the VIN off to the Pontiac Historical people and get the build sheet.

For the most part, the car is in really good shape. All of the parts are there, its straight and the doors close good with little effort. The quarters are wrinkled at the wheel wells from too fat a tire, plus I need to build the engine and trans. In the mean time I picked up a 77 Hurst T/A that was a complete rust bucked for what parts were good. I got all the flares, spoilers and a spare drivetrain from it, plus all the bolts that were good.

The hard part of this is the car and all of the parts are 8hrs away in another state. I'm going to go get it in the spring.

Either way if it is or is not a Y88, I have a cool piece of history to go with my 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe.

As for the name, I've worker for two different utility companies over the last 20 yrs, and I lived in Texas for most of them................

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Welcome Scott pictures would be great !

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get you guys some pics when I go to pick her up. It may be a month or two though.

I bought a set of Ram Air III heads a few years back a Torker II intake at a swap meet that is almost new looking. I took the heads to the machine shop for some mild porting, stainless valves and hardened exhaust seats. I have a plan to build the engine like a Ram Air III. If I recall, the Torker II cam is really close to the Ram Air III. I want to get a Torker II cam and springs to go with it. I just need to figure out how to get a roller version of the cam and get the right lifters too.

The Aerocoupe is close to stock. Is got a Pypes exhaust system with Hooker long tubes. Some other stuff and electric fans, with a 92 TPI serpentine setup.

I'll post a build thread. Where should I put it? I've got questions on some of the plans I have too......................

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sweet another TX person! Woot Woot!

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Welcome to FBN!!!

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Great to have you here.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to give you guys a quick update on my bird.

I sent off the for the VIN packet from PHS, and after waiting almost 24 years to find out what I really have............sadly its not a Y88. :no

Here are the options on the invoice: 04-06-78

W72

C60

UA1

AK1

A90

A01

WW7

Y92

B37

D34

UN9

N33

YJ8

Y90

QCY

Oh well, that just frees me up to build it a little different!! I don't have to put the 400 with the ram air 3's on it now. I was going to spend the money on the 400 to keep it as close to original as possible, but selling that to fund the LS engine build is on the list now.

I'm thinking about putting 6.0 LS in it with a 4L80, and run it off a 411 PCM. I'll start a new thread in the second gen area when I go to pick her up. That hopefully will be next month.............

Till then,

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts