Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is stan from PA.

I was recently given my dads 1967 firebird 400: the car sat in a garage from 88-03 when we got it running for my senior prom. At this time we did the brakes, fuel lines, new radiator and swapped the tripower carbs for a single holley 650 double pump and edelbrock intake. The car then sat from 08-present.

The problem is, its not a true firebird 400, It was originally a 6cyl manual. The story i got was the 400 engine and trans came from a 72 GTO, and there was never any proof that the GTO was factory. So now im trying to piece together parts for a car thats pieced together.

Did all the firebird engine models run the same rear? Im told it still has the factory rear but 4.11 gears. It does have what looks to be 2 factory traction bars. I want to re gear it, not looking for drag racing anyone.

Im going to be asking a lot of questions, i really have no one to help me knowledge wise or mechanically. Im searching the web and learning a lot. I just refuse to sell it, and want it to survive another 50 years to pass onto my kids.

Thanks in advance for advice and help.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Welcome to FBN ! :welcome500:

Most of the '67's had either 1 or 2 factory traction bars. And the rear ends were the same as came in the Tempest, Lemans, and GTO. They still had the donuts on top, which were for the upper control arms, on the A-body cars. But they had leaf spring & traction bar mounts welded onto the tubes, so they would work in the Birds.

"...Im going to be asking a lot of questions, i really have no one to help me knowledge wise or mechanically..."

Ask away ! When I started, I had nobody to help me either. But, things have changed, today. You can find out just about anything you wanna know, online. I don't know it all, but with the knowledge on this site and other Pontiac sites, I think we can either answer your questions or post links to info with the answers. :yes

"...The story i got was the 400 engine and trans came from a 72 GTO, and there was never any proof that the GTO was factory..."

Well, that might be a good place to start. You can locate all the ID numbers on the engine and get a better idea of exactly what you have. No, it won't reveal exactly what is inside, But you'll at least know what block and heads you have. So, get the block casting number, which is located on a pad below the rear end of the passenger side head. A '72 400 block would be a #481988.

Then get the 4 digit date code, which is located back by the distributor hole. The 1st digit is a letter, which is the month in which the block wast cast. A=Jan, B=Feb, C=Mar, D=Apr, etc. The next 2 digits are the day of the month. And the last digit is the last digit of the year it was cast. 8=1968, 9=1969, 0=1970, 1=1971, 2=1972. So, an example would be: A102 = Jan 10, 1972.

Then look just below the front end of the passenger side head and get the 2-digit block code. It could be something like YC, YX, WS, etc. There are some numbers just above the 2-digit code. But they are just production numbers for the year, and won't help ID the block. :no

Then get the head casting number, which is over the center exhaust ports. The 1972 heads had a 3 digit number. I think the 400 GTO heads would be 7K3. Hey, this is enuff info to get you started. Keep us up to date on your progress. And keep in mind that most of the guys on these car forums love lots of pictures. :yes

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response!

Ok, so far i found a YS on the engine block, which i believe confirms a 400 engine. I cannot see the date code, i have to clean some dirt and oxidation out of the way.

It has a 10 bolt rear which i now believe is the stock 6cl rear.

I still can not confirm the trans, although i do know its a Muncie 4 speed, just dont know if its a rock crusher or not. While under the car i found its been missing the flywheel dust cover since 1977, im having trouble tracking that down.

Looks like my first real purchases for this will be: disc brake conversion (its all drum and is a bear to stop), electric fan (she currently has a flex fan on it, looks neat, but if left at an idle for a few min it will overheat), new headers (rusted through), re-gear the rear (something more factory), and cragar wheels and lettered tires. This will probably be all i can afford this year.

Whats a good size wheel and tire for these? Right now it has about 14" wide rears, looks rediculous. The front and rear tires are mickey tompsons and actually pretty new, im hoping to sell them to help fund more practical wheels and tires. Im thinking slighty wider in rear than front. NOTE: i do have a beat up set of stock wheels.

Im going to get you pics soon, how and where do i upload them at?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
To upload pics when you're typing a message go to the bottom right and click "More Reply Options"

Then Choose File and browse to your picture, select it and then click "Attach This File",

This will add it to a list down below, then you click Add to Post and it will add the picture where your cursor is in the message. You can do this with multiple pics and add them wherever you want in the message, before text, in between, after etc. So you can add descriptions or questions to each pic if you want.

No excuses now, lets see that Bird!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
"...Whats a good size wheel and tire for these? Right now it has about 14" wide rears, looks rediculous. The front and rear tires are mickey tompsons and actually pretty new, im hoping to sell them to help fund more practical wheels and tires. Im thinking slighty wider in rear than front..."

This is a question that is strictly a personal preference deal. Younger guys seem to prefer big wheels--like 17-18", with super low profile tires. But, I'm strictly old school. I like 15" wheels with plenty of sidewall and white letters. Cooper Cobra tires are reasonably priced white letter tires. Then there are BFG's, for a bit more. I also like the look of the old style Cragar SS wheels. We raced those in the late '70's.

I also like the look of smaller front tires with wider rears. It's sort of a drag racing look. The down side is that you can't rotate from front to rear.

Here's a pic of our '68 E/SA drag car, turned street ride. TJ raced it in '75, then it was her daily driver for nearly 3 years. :smile22:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/cooper-cobra-g-t-tires

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cooper%20cobra%20tires

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
If it's a rock crusher you'll know it. It's the nosiest transmission you've ever heard, lol. Also, it's a close ratio, meaning there is very little difference between the gears. I can skip 3rd gear and truly never know the difference, the gearing is that close to 2nd gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trans is a little noisy, and its tough to shift from 2nd to 3rd, and to downshift. Has a hurst shift set up. My dad said he thought that was stock on that trans. The linkage may not be set right or worn.

Im pretty excited because i just got it running today for the first time in a few years, ran really good too. I got to do more inspecting and found its actually a holley 670 street avenger carb (i thought it was a 650 dp), and it has a flame thrower electronic ignition. All installed around 2003. She drove ok, but really floats around. I think the huge back tires have a lot to do with it, plus they are bias ply! The 4 wheel drum brakes all work decent, but it needs discs.

Here a few pics, they look way better than it does in person. It just needs a lot of real TLC.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood View attachment 157666 Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Wheel Vehicle

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Love the Starsky and Hutch paint job. Oh wait, am I showing I watched too many tv reruns as a kid?????

Actually great looking car.

2nd gen Muncie transmissions came with OEM Hurst shifters. Hurst will still rebuild them to factory specs. The vin will be on top of the tranny, between the tranny and the tunnel. Awkward to see, just use a mirror.

ok just for you, lol. I added an article to the Tech Articles on how to identify Muncie Transmissions - scroll down to Drivetrain. http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/442246-master-index-general-tech-articles/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts