Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1986, T/A, 305. Named "Bird"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I've been wondering about the paint on my firebird. Should I keep the original color, or go with a new one? If a new one, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Easy, if the original paint is rubbish and needs panel work, replace it. If it's mint and can be detailed, keep it. If you don't like the mint condition colour, repaint it. It's still your decision what repaint, if it goes with the interior colour and what decals will suit. Are you referring to the white 86 in pic?

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
Remember that painting the same color saves some work (and money) since the door jambs and other areas won't have to change colors. It's more work and costs more to change colors.

Scroll thru photos from Pontiac Nationals & Trans Am Nationals. See how many cars are the color you are interested in. You don't want to get lost in the crowd.

After I went to those shows, I never wanted to see another black & gold later 2nd gen trans am or a white early 2nd gen one. I don't remember a lot about the 3rd gens, but since a black & gold one was used in Smokey & the Bandit 3, I'm sure there were a large number of those at the shows.

Reactions: aVoap

·
Registered
1986, T/A, 305. Named "Bird"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Easy, if the original paint is rubbish and needs panel work, replace it. If it's mint and can be detailed, keep it. If you don't like the mint condition colour, repaint it. It's still your decision what repaint, if it goes with the interior colour and what decals will suit. Are you referring to the white 86 in pic?
Yep, I am talking about the 86 in the pic's (if you're talking about my pfp, thats just a google image)

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Photos of his car are in this thread:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Having done a color change on my 77, and because I like white, I’d stay with white. Easy to care for too as opposed to, say, black. I happened to buy a silver car that needed painted though and I don’t care for silver. As mentioned, staying with the same color can make some things easier. As I get older, I wonder if I could’ve dealt with silver and sort of wish I’d kept the original color regardless of what it was. Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
I think YOU need to decide what YOUR long term plans are for the car. If YOU plan to “restore” it, use the color that it left the factory with. If YOU plan some extreme “resto mod”, pick YOUR favorite color.

·
Registered
636 Posts
As said,keeping same color will be way cheaper to paint than a color change.REALLY look into the shop before you put into body shop jail.Shops that just do classic cars will be expensive,shops that do collision work will ALWAYS be pushing your car off to do the insurance work.The stories of body shop jail are never ending.FWIW,Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts