Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

New member, Tim Rose from Vancouver WA. I run a small restoration shop, and have been a classic Pontiac enthusiast for many years. I recently sold a very nice 1969 Firebird 350 HO/Auto car in order to buy one of my all-time faves, a 1973 Brewster Green Trans Am.

I built a Corvette Summer '71 Formula 400 with the T/A shaker through a Formula hood about seven years ago... very cool car, ended up selling it. Bought and restored a '73 Formula 455 in a fairly boring Desert Sand color, but it had a super-cool tri-color (if I recall correctly) longitudinal stripe very similar to a GTO. That was a killer car; ended up selling that one eventually.

I have been watching for an early second-gen T/A for many years; as you guys know they rarely come up locally... you can gamble on eBay but as a buyer I prefer a local deal. Well, just three weeks ago a '73 T/A project popped up on our local Craig's List. I didn't check the night before, but finding it in the morning I saw that it was posted late the previous evening. I called just as soon as I saw the ad (asking $5,800.00), only to find that it was sold to the first buyer. I expressed my disappointment, and thanked the seller. A week goes by, and I get a call from the seller, saying that the buyer had backed out, and the car was once again available.

I made the driver over, and was fairly disappointed at what I saw... passenger side B-pillar and rear wheel well area was literally cut out and removed with a sawzall, hood was pretty dented, and virtually every part was off the car. It was indeed Brewster Green, and I asked for the consideration of sleeping on it. The next day, I came to the realization that I may never find another Brewster Green '73 again, and entered into a negotiation. I ended up buying the car, and trailering it home. The seller turned out to be a wonderful person who made several follow-up trips to my shop to deliver parts he found. I ended up with a bunch of extra parts, some of which I was able to sell and recoup part of my initial investment.

I am now two weeks into the car, and have completed all the metal work. I split a rocker section, welded in the inside, then the outer. Replaced the inner B-pillar support, followed by the B-pillar and latch assembly itself... door closes and latches with one finger. Cut and welded in the missing section of inner fender, then trimmed back the outer quarter to provide welding access all around. Finally, cut and fit the outer rear quarter section. It turned out just great, and I should also have mentioned the car sold new in Beverly Hills, CA and has been out of the weather since new, and there isn't a speck of rust anywhere.

I have fit all the panels on the car, straightened the hood and re-glued the bracing to the skin, installed new subframe bushings, and aligned all the sheet metal: doors, fenders, nose, lower valence, rear deck lid, etc. Beautiful gaps all around, very lucky to find the car was still so straight.

Anyhow, I started on the bodywork today. Hoping to have her painted in a month or so if I'm blessed with smooth sailing... we shall see. Rebuilding the 455, already did the TH400, rear end, and front subframe... got a jumpstart on a good portion of it.

It came with a white Deluxe interior, console automatic, and air conditioning. Going to be a stunner when done. Planning to keep her, hope all the powers that be cosign on that plan too!

A question: I have read here that only 146 Brewster Green T/A's were made; I also read on TransAmFlorida that either 269 or 279 were made. I would love to know which number is "more" accurate? Any help appreciated.

I would like to be able to post progress pictures if you all are interested. Please post and tell me which forum is most appropriate, and maybe how to do so. Thanks for the help, and hello again to all of you... glad to be here.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Welcome to FBN & congrats on the new car.

Pontiac didn't keep records on the number of cars by color, back then. Unfortunately. People have speculated on the numbers of specific colors, but it's just that, speculation. Remember that was pre-computer era.

·
Administrator
2,476 Posts
Would love to follow your build. Please *do* create a thread for it and upload images.

...and: Welcome to FBN!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, guys! Hopefully a few lady enthusiasts, too!

I started a build thread in the Second Generation Showroom forum. I think I got the hang of the picture system, too. That's a small miracle in and of itself. I have some more complete pictures with the sheet metal on and fitted, with the nose as well. Will update again tomorrow.

I welcome all your input, ideas, etc. too. My ultimate goal with the car is a stock exterior and interior appearance (I may take some small liberties with my decal scheme and wheels/tires, high-performance suspension, and a very powerful engine. I have been reading about 500 HP 455 builds, and guys are making it happen at just over 5,000 rpm with the right components. A 455 will live forever if you keep it south of 5,300 rpm or so, and well-oiled. Money notwithstanding, this is what I would hope to have when done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again for the warm welcome, and an additional thanks to the considerate administrator who moved my build thread into the appropriate forum... I was flying blind and appreciate the assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts