Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window Just wanted to shout out to everyone, glad I found this sight. I'm located in central Florida and am the proud new owner of my third bird, a 1989 Formula. Just got her a week ago in northern FL, I am the second owner and she has been a FL car since day one. Great car 45K miles on the clock L03 TBI engine, peppy but needs some help in the HP department. Past birds I have owned were an 82 TA, my second an 87 GTA, now many decades latter I just had to have another so here I am and man I'm loving it, what a great feeling driving this machine around especially in the corners, just a sweet ride. Posted a pic for you all, man I am loving this car! I'm looking forward to sharing and learning / drawing from the resources and experiences of the fellow members. Glad to be aboard!

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,446 Posts
Very nice. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to all 😎. Put about 60 miles on her since I've had her, had to shake off the rust so to speak. It was garaged so much that it just needed to be run a bit to get the juices flowing, I am so impressed with this car and so happy that I made the purchase. Going to address the stereo system issues next, the original head unit seems fine but the speakers aren't that great. The two front work but they're not the best, one kind of works in the back and the other side doesn't work at all. So the first order of business is to replace all the speakers and see what that gets me. Of course I'll upgrade the speakers to something with polypropylene cones but I wanted direct fit not to alter the original appearance. If that goes well in the head unit checks out then I will just add a remote CD player out of sight. I already took out that stupid block plate in the Powerball should and replaced it with in hand fabricated screen very similar to the original that came on the earlier birds with the cowl induction packages. It's amazing how much heat it lets escape from the engine bay. I'm also on the hunt for an original cowl induction parts kit so I can retrofit this car and have it working the way it was intended too. Also have an 87 three spoke wheel on the way which is going to replace the ugly Toyota style steering wheel that Pontiac was compelled for whatever reason to install in these great cars. No matter what I do it's all going to be OEM direct bolt ons and if I want to I need to I can always save the parts and put them back without a problem to retain the originality. Thanks again for the warm welcome more to come 👍.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LoL I ment to say took out the blocking plate in the power bulge Hood... Not power ball 😁.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again! Hey as long as I'm at it can anyone help me locate the air cleaner cap for the 82-84 cowl induction set up?? I already have the other parts, just need the air filter cover that has the hole and the gasket. Thanks in advance.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
I always thought my 3-Gen 86 TA was the best looking US-made car I ever owned. But the bad factory paint and weak engine choices ruined that, so I bought a 98 as soon as I read about the LS1's. The new car dealer put my car next to the new 98 and though I would be swayed.... But I actually told him that I thought my old car looked better than the new 98 (at the time). He winced a bit ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gorgeous car sir and I agree with everything you just said. For the life of me I can't understand how GM / Pontiac could create such a beautiful machine that handles like a cat in the corners then go and put an engine like in my case a L03 that produces 170 HP. I'm planning on correcting that with some engine upgrades, but don't want to to ruin the originality of my bird. And just for the record I did consider a 4th gen T/A but I like you feel the 3rd gen's are far better looking and IMO far more masqline.

·
Administrator
3,288 Posts
If you want some more go, and don't want to ruin originality, Try the 350 tuned port injected engine. It was an option on 89 formula & trans am. I believe it had around 245 hp.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want some more go, and don't want to ruin originality, Try the 350 tuned port injected engine. It was an option on 89 formula & trans am. I believe it had around 245 hp.
Yea but then it wouldn't be numbers match. I may go with some internal mods so as not to change the block.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts