Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am a new member from Georgia. I just purchased a 1981 Turbo Trans Am with a 4.9 L Turbo engine. I plan to put an LS 5.3 and 4L60E transmission in it. I am fairly good at working on cars but I have never done an LS swap. I have a lot of questions but I am learning. Hopefully project will go as planned and maybe I can share what I learn along the way.

I am sourcing the engine, transmission, harness right now. Then I need to sell the Pontiac 301 engine and transmission which is currently in the car because I don't have enough space to keep the old engine in the garage. The Pontiac 301 and Turbo works good but I want to upgrade to modern technology.

Looking forward to sharing experiences here and learning. Thank you.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,371 Posts
Welcome to Firebird Nation ! ! !

A friendly :D heads up.... be prepared for some blowback on ditching the Pontiac engine. Particularly in a 2nd Gen. But not all of us feel that way.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,299 Posts
Great to have you here and congrats on the new car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Much appreciated.

My apologies in advance for ditching the beloved Pontiac 301 Turbo. My original plan was to keep the Pontiac engine and fix it up, but DIY LS swap is so cost effective that I want to give it a try.

Here's what I have done so far. I found a 5.3LS and a 4L60E transmission at a local salvage yard. Next, I am going to put car intake, shorty headers, car oil pan, dirty dingo mounts and Holley harness on it. I have already removed side quarter panels, front facia and radiator support from the car. It seems easy enough to pull the old engine and transmission , but I have never done this before. Hope everything goes smooth and I don't run into any major problems. If can certainly post my progress and mistakes and lessons learnt here so others don't make the mistakes that I am about to make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts