Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to Camaro zone, but definitely not new to the vehicles.
I'm CJ, I live in Tampa, and Frostproof, Fl. I basically work in Tampa and stay in the area while working and then stay in Frostproof on my time off.

I just recently acquired a new F-Body... Well new to me... 1995 Firebird, this will be my 4th owned F-Body. In the past I've owned in order. 1985 Camaro V-6, 1987 IROC-Z - 305 with Z06 Corvette tranny, and a 1978 Z28 (Miss this car as well as the Iroc.

I basically joined up to find fellow enthusiasts and friends in the area. This firebird is giong to become my project over time... Converting it from a 3.8 to a LT1. But first things first, to get minor things fixed first as well as a maintenance guide line.

When I got it home last night (was unable to do much cause of the rain) did further inspections. Found the oil was as black as my paint on my motorcycle, as well as the brake fluid. Found the trans fluid is getting there as well.
Other things I've found is nasty gunk in the Res bottle dip stick, a double lined grove in the right front disk rotor, weird electrical issue with the radio, oh and T-Tops that I can not remove.
One is missing the lock, the other lock works I think, but the handle will not budge, wondering how I'm going to get these tops off to replace the weather striping and replace the lock on the other one.
Ideas on this matter would be awesome!

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,405 Posts
Welcome!!

We should be able to help with the 95.Replacing all the fluids, filters and things like the PCV valve would be a good idea. The LT1 swap will be easiest with a complete donor front end (engine/trans/K-member/suspension/wheels & tires/PCM/harness) fully assembled. The K-member (engine cradle) is actually different between the V6 and V8 cars. The swap becomes very easy with the donor car. Loosen your K-member, raise the front of the car with an engine hoist (or block & tackle if you have an overhead structure) roll the V6 engine/trans/K-member/suspension/wheels & tires out from under the car, roll the new assembly under your car and bolt it in. A bit oversimplified.... but you get the idea.

Is the t-top with the handle that won't move the one with the lock intact, or the one with the missing lock? Dumb question, but did you try unlocking the one with the lock? The oval head door key is the one to use, and only a small part of the key enters the lock.

If you can't get the handles to move, I'll take a look at my tops to see if there is a way to get them loose without too much damage. The locks are only held in by a flimsy c-clip. The driver side lock fell out on my head one day when I was driving.

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Great to have you here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts