Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately it looks like there are extra holes maybe and i am not sure which frame side mount i need. i am installing a 383 stroked, i believe it's a chevy block but came out of a 67 Lemans.
Frame and block images
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Electrical wiring

Block
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

TY for taking the time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i am thinking it is the following frame mount:
Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part Bumper Font

mated up to this motor side:
Rectangle Auto part Font Plastic Metal

but the frame mount is not easy to find, and dang expensive, which is why i am hoping to get confirmation before spending my checks.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,577 Posts
I don't recall Pontiac using a small block Chevy in the 1967 LeMans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it was not the original motor to that car either, but the motor mounts that they used for the LeMans are different than the ones i need frame side for the 72 firebird. Engine block side the mount is pretty much identical from what i can gather.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just look for the motor and frame mounts for the same year Camaro, they will bolt in. But I don't know what set of holes the frame plates will need to be installed in.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,049 Posts
The sub frame in your pic is only drilled out for Pontiac V8 and straight 6 frame mounts. The (scarce) early 2nd gen Pontiac V8 frame mounts will not work with the Chevy V8 engine mounts. Your best bet is to buy 2nd gen Camaro SBC frame mounts and engine mounts and then set the combo into the chassis and drill holes for the Chevy frame mounts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sub frame in your pic is only drilled out for Pontiac V8 and straight 6 frame mounts. The (scarce) early 2nd gen Pontiac V8 frame mounts will not work with the Chevy V8 engine mounts. Your best bet is to buy 2nd gen Camaro SBC frame mounts and engine mounts and then set the combo into the chassis and drill holes for the Chevy frame mounts.
Ty Sir. This is the info i needed.
these are the mounts i pulled with the 383 out of the LeMans, prob just need to drill for these.
Gas Auto part Metal Engineering Screw

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,049 Posts
If the mounts that were used in the Lemans were not made for a SBC in an F body you may end up with engine placement issues. Including but not necessarily limited to oil pan clearance, fan/shroud alignment, hood clearance, trans alignment, etc. The person who put the engine in the Lemans may have used mounts designed for a Malibu/Chevelle which might not work for a Firebird/Camaro application. Your first post gives me the hint you may not have much experience and if that's the case you may be better off in the long run to just buy reproduction SBC F body frame and engine mounts rather than fool around with those aftermarket pieces shown in your pic.

The mounts in your pic look like Energy Suspension poly motor mounts. I'd try to find out which ones they are (use your google-foo) before even considering spending time trying to use them. If they're not made for 70-81 Camaro applications I'd seriously consider buying the correct mounts, and I'm a guy who modifies and makes stuff like this. Here's a link to the Pontiac V8 mounts I modify for use in early 2nd gen Firebirds. 70-74 Firebird Modified Reproduction Engine Mounts click for more pics and details

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the mounts that were used in the Lemans were not made for a SBC in an F body you may end up with engine placement issues. Including but not necessarily limited to oil pan clearance, fan/shroud alignment, hood clearance, trans alignment, etc. The person who put the engine in the Lemans may have used mounts designed for a Malibu/Chevelle which might not work for a Firebird/Camaro application. Your first post gives me the hint you may not have much experience and if that's the case you may be better off in the long run to just buy reproduction SBC F body frame and engine mounts rather than fool around with those aftermarket pieces shown in your pic.

The mounts in your pic look like Energy Suspension poly motor mounts. I'd try to find out which ones they are (use your google-foo) before even considering spending time trying to use them. If they're not made for 70-81 Camaro applications I'd seriously consider buying the correct mounts, and I'm a guy who modifies and makes stuff like this. Here's a link to the Pontiac V8 mounts I modify for use in early 2nd gen Firebirds. 70-74 Firebird Modified Reproduction Engine Mounts click for more pics and details
TY so much.
like these?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts