Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
These were for my kids GTA.
The steps were pretty easy.

1-Chemical strip the clear.
2-Sandblast the centers and back of the wheel.
3-Polish the outer rim.
4-Repaint gold centers.

Piece o cake!!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
WOW!!

Looks really good Leon, your kid's one lucky guy! :smile:

Ken

G

·
holy S**t!

that's amazing, those suckers look immaculate after they got touched by the almighty finger of Leon.

NICE!

·
F.B.N. Audio Bling Team
6,720 Posts
Yo Leon, you're the man! Great work bro. You're son is lucky as ###### to have a dad like you.

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
After sanding them down to 1000 grit, I used a combination of these cakes and buffing wheel attached to the high speed grinder.

Thanks for the comments.
Anything I have that is made out of aluminium, has gotten the same treatment.
From the forks on my motorcycle to the altinator on my cars engine, I'll polish it!!
And these are my 6th set of wheels I have polished, so I think I have a system that seems to work pretty well.

Leon.

·
Elite Signature Maker
5,853 Posts
I would of repainted them black, but I hate gold.

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That might have been fine for any other use, but the gold is specific for the GTA.
And black and gold has always looked good on a Trans Am, no matter what generation.

Leon.

·
Premium Member
8,316 Posts
Nice work Leon! Have you considered putting this topic in the 'How to Forums?' You can just about bet some unlucky person is going to spend upwards to $200-$300 a wheel for restoration and this marvelous article is really all that was required. The nice part is, this application can be use on just about any aluminum wheel, right?

·
Premium Member
7,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I taped the polished parts of the rims off, and used automotive epoxy primer, base coat, and clear coat, shot throught a standard suction feed spray gun, with the wheels hanging from a hook in my garage.

Leon.

·
Autobody and Restoration
13,490 Posts
ADOPT ME LEON!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually and I do not know if its because of geographical location, I paid to have my wheels restored on my old LSC and it cost me $500 ($125 a rim to do the factory BBS style rims) back in 1996 and that was my shop price not the price given to a customer. I know today it costs a shop th same price. Oh.... I wanted to see how they would come out, they were the original rims that I replaced with 17" Chrome Gottis, but thanks to thier work I actually sold the factory rims after they were done and made a $300 dollar profit.

~Lou

·
Registered
64 Posts
would this process work on making these wheels shiny like the outer rim of yours? I am not sure exactly what these are made of but I'm sure somebody on here knows.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts