Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next to my Firebird, my second best investment was purchasing my car's Service Manuals and Body Manuals. They helped me numerous times tuning it, repairing it, and generally extricating myself from problems I created for myself. Seeing that many members here tend to be DIYers, shelling out the 50 bucks or so would seem to be a wise move for your special interest car. Based on your technological predilection, I recommend you please consider either downloading or securing a hardcopy soon. Thank you.

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am W72 400/4speed (swapped)
441 Posts
100% agree. I never knew the kind of info that was available in those and they have been invaluable to me over the years. Especially the wiring diagrams. I have a digital version which is great for searching and I keep a copy on my phone but reading on my phone is a little difficult and I rarely break out my laptop so I’ve been tempted to get a paper copy as well because of how useful it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed. It's a good investment.

Having recently acquired the 94 TA I was able to find the Service Manuals but found that the parts manual was only available on Microfiche and maybe Disc; however, I did find the entire parts manual on line that was converted from Microfiche to a PDF. (Over 2400 pages.) Since I'm "old school," and I like to work from paper, a friend of mine printed the entire document out for me on pre-punched loose leaf paper.

Shown is how I keep my manuals for the Birds. I also keep Maintenance and History Books. (Since "day 1" on the 91.) The ones for my 71 Cheyenne, 15 Silverado, Boat, Seadoo, ATV, ZTR and my wife's vehicles are kept elsewhere.
Shelving Shelf Publication Bookcase Font

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
Downloadable 4th Gen factory service manuals, parts manual, and 3rd and 4th Gen exploded parts manuals are available here:

Thanks to member GaryDoug !

·
Registered
1978 Trans Am - 400 - TH350 - 3.23 - Y82 - WS6
47 Posts
Next to my Firebird, my second best investment was purchasing my car's Service Manuals and Body Manuals. They helped me numerous times tuning it, repairing it, and generally extricating myself from problems I created for myself. Seeing that many members here tend to be DIYers, shelling out the 50 bucks or so would seem to be a wise move for your special interest car. Based on your technological predilection, I recommend you please consider either downloading or securing a hardcopy soon. Thank you.
Investment is the right word. Found both service and body manual on Ebay for $100. Which after some research seems fair but was totally expecting a Haynes manual type price. Purchased the Haynes for now and suggested the service/body manuals to wife as a Christmas present. I also like to dive too deep into certain components as well, as I bought a carb rebuild book and Pontiac engine book.

·
Registered
1978 Trans Am - 400 - TH350 - 3.23 - Y82 - WS6
47 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both of these books are outstanding! Rocky brings a wealth of Pontiac knowledge to the table. He and his father own and wrench on Firebirds everyday. He also knows a group of Pontiac engineers from the era of our cars and publishes a blog. Cliff's book is superb. He's one of the "go to" people in our hobby. When you are ready for carb modifications, his book is a great one to have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rocky and his Dad are also friends of mine and I trust them implicitly. It wouldn't surprise me at all if many other folks on here also know him and consider him a friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts