Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have owned my '94 TransAm now for a year and a half, and so far it ripped through 2 gearbox mounts.

The first was ripped in half after two months of owning it. Could just have been age (the car wasn't driven much by the previous owner, and I use it as a daily driver, so maybe worn rubber).

I replaced it with a stock item from rockauto.

Two weeks ago i started hearing bumping noises under the car again (during takeoff at lights, and when the box shifted to next gear)

Turns out my gearbox mount is once again chewed in half.

Just bad luck with the new mount? Or another problem?

Has anyone had that happen?

20150811_124816.jpg

·
BillyMagg
306 Posts
I have owned my '94 TransAm now for a year and a half, and so far it ripped through 2 gearbox mounts.

The first was ripped in half after two months of owning it. Could just have been age (the car wasn't driven much by the previous owner, and I use it as a daily driver, so maybe worn rubber).

I replaced it with a stock item from rockauto.

Two weeks ago i started hearing bumping noises under the car again (during takeoff at lights, and when the box shifted to next gear)

Turns out my gearbox mount is once again chewed in half.

Just bad luck with the new mount? Or another problem?

Has anyone had that happen?

20150811_124816.jpg
Your girl-friend is prolly ripping those suckers in half when she has to give you a push start every morning, prolly digging them high heels in in order to get your bird up to speed???? Prolly be cheaper just to pick up one of those mini-starter thangies??

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Have you checked your motor mounts for their condition. Is the torque arm that runs between transmission and rear end solidly attached. Finally, is the transmission cross member lined up straight or is it not straight and putting a load on trans mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts