Firebird Nation banner
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Wow, I am surprised that my car swayed someones opinion on what color to go with...lol I think you will be happy with the silver man. Do you know what color silver you are going with? Mine is Mercedes Benz Brilliant silver. I have the color code if you are interested.
My wife just does not like silver lol, her lr3 is silver and she didnt want another car in silver, so when i get to the point of looking at silvers ill get that off u to see if its a ci tender vs the factory color, when we were discussing it before i was looking at the silver in the rally 2 wheels on the car, time will tell

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Got the new amd trunk lid today,was not worth trying to fill the holes drilled in the original from a camaro wedge

Amd seems to fit about the same as the original the inside is st a mped identicle to the original 69 to include the spots to drill for the trans am wing

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
My massive steering leak is fixed, since i now have a lift i was able to fugure out that the return line hose was leaking making it look like the box was leaking

New hose, with fuel injection clamps and top off fluid, hose it down with brak cleaner and it appears theres no more leaks, love free fixes
Also the trans pans leaking so i bought a finnednaluminum one cheap from amazon and got a filter kit, just hope the shifter cable bracket works with the aluminum pan for the th400

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Here is the new trunk lid from amd, it looks like it needs to be bowed up in the middle to match the body, which should push the passenger corner down, body gaps look about the same as the original lid

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Mine is the same as yours imagine that.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Oer fiberglass wing mounted, not happy at all with this poor reprduction
Pedistals are angled wrong and front hole location is off, no idea what the extra parts are for
Very hollow and light sounds like plastic, it is the same one sent to me by the parts place that I returned that they claim to manufacture

I also hate that it's bowed down in the middle ,looks like crap to me, I was expecting fiberglass like a gen 3 wing like Knight Rider style

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,430 Posts
Never in my life have I seen a rear spoiler like that. Oh, wait a minute, I have. On the 4th gen Camaro. Is that really a 1st gen Firebird design? I always thought 1st gen spoilers were more like the 2nd gen3 piece spoiler in design. Curious, that's all. Just because I've never seen one doesn't mean it wasn't so. Something new every day and all that. I seem to remember many "universal" rear spoilers of the '90s came with plastic or rubber shims shaped like the central pillars but slipped over the bottoms a bit. Wondering if those are intended for yours. Looks like they at least need shimmed to remove that dip from the wing.

...That dip, ya, that's f*ed up. Who the hell pulled the first one out of the mould and upon test fit thought *perfect*. Something else I'm thinking, maybe they have been stored improperly at the warehouse? Not likely, but maybe?

I've seen damn near every car "restoration" show ever produced and one thing they all have in common is they all exhaust every known resource for original sheetmetal before ordering from OER or OPG for just that reason. No company remanufacturing sheetmetal has a 100% fit. EVERY panel needs massaged by a good body guy. The only difference from one company to the next is how much massaging needs done. Seems like at the very least even the very best reproduction needs as much time and effort as an old slightly banged up original.

Scary thought bending that trunk lid. What would happen if you used washers in between the body and hinges instead? That would certainly drop the lid down, but then would the middle be too low? Just thinking here... edit: nevermind, now I see how low the center is. Damn! That's messed up!

Regardless, you're making good progress, don't lose that momentum.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Yeah nothing is easy with this car, trans sat fir like 20 years on the ground at dads so pan was leaking and rusted, bought a new finned aluminum one and of course it does not fit without modification of the shifte cable bracket

Pan was cheap came with hardware and gasket, think it was assault brand off amazon looks same as the others sold

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Ha looks like someone got their hands on a military Humv... use to drive those back in the 80's in the Marine Corps.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Looks like it is in good condition Tom. Holy crap do you have halos on the hummer? lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Hummer had a blown low beam, turn signals dont worrk unless headlights are turned on so got tired of hi beam all the time

24v military bulb was more than buying those led headlights lol, i dont loke the halos but they were very cheap on amazon

Thise trans am scoops were only ones available, made in mexico shipped from texas, looks real nice pretty smooth inside

That are the studs i need to buy that mount the scoops

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Picked this up used friday 9k rotory

Now i have no choice but to run real electric to the garage lol

Now rotary says 12' from the bay door to center of lift, my buddies real shop is 14' any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think you have toooo many toys!!!!

The H1 is bad ass, it does need a oh-shit bar to hold on to when taking a turn, It was a lot smoother ride than I was expecting.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Well she was dropped of to dm3s body guy today, he squeezed ,e in to see what they can get done in a weeks time so fingers crossed for how much he can get done

On the list is align trunk lid, doors, front clip

Cut in with paint

Mount the 69 t/a fender scoops

Paint upper dash, install front and rear widshield with trim and missing pins

And they want to put in a new lower rear window filler since it was not done right

181 - 200 of 216 Posts