Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a long time coming, and after hunting for a while, I finally got my dream car to restore and wrench on.

1970 Formula 400 - 2 owner vehicle, previous owner bought in 73. Been garaged most of its life and is running but needs a total resto. I will get more photos posted once it arrives, its being shipped in from Georgia.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Car Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard! ...looks like an good starting point for a project

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wheel Hood Tire Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Here she is, loaded up on the truck in georgia, and getting setup for transit to me in oregon. She drove up on her own as well, which is always a nice start imo when they can move under their own power. Ive also ordered the PHS docs which I personally cant wait to see what they have to say! All in all, pretty excited at this stage. When Im knee deep in rust repair ask me again then lmao.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, car arrived to me today, and was quite the fiasco. She refused to start to get off the trailer, so we had to manhandle and tow strap it up to get her to the garage. Just learned a valuable lesson as well about buying cars sight unseen from strangers... He vastly oversold how solid the car is, and its got some serious rust issues. Overpaid for sure, but such is life, to late now shes here. Will take a lot more work and money, but such is the nature of money pits...

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread
Water Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Fluid
Automotive parking light Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Liquid Automotive tire Tread Fluid Tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Plant Wood Fawn Terrestrial animal Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Fender Bumper
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, did more digging... and it looks like I sadly do not have a number matching car. Really sucks as I already had overpaid...overpaid and not even numbers matching...killer job I did for sure lol. Based on what I could find - this would have been a WT 400 out of a 68 GTO or Tempest with a 4 speed? Any pros care to weigh in to correct me?

Tire Automotive tire Grey Wood Tread

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,112 Posts
A '68 engine would require adapters for the 2 bolt (60's) to 3 bolt (70's) engine conversion mounts. First thing I'd do is contact Pontiac Historic Services (PHS) for a copy of the build sheet to be certain what the car started life as. Drivers seat doesn't look stock.

Start looking now for a tail panel as good ones are kinda scarce.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A '68 engine would require adapters for the 2 bolt (60's) to 3 bolt (70's) engine conversion mounts. First thing I'd do is contact Pontiac Historic Services (PHS) for a copy of the build sheet to be certain what the car started life as. Drivers seat doesn't look stock.

Start looking now for a tail panel as good ones are kinda scarce.
Ill check the motor mounts and see if there is adapters. I have the PHS build sheet actually, ill post it up.

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
:D(y)

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,112 Posts
I hate to be the one to deliver bad news, but I feel it's my duty.

After watching the day 1 video a couple times and having worked on early 2nd gens for decades, that car is a parts car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dont get discouraged, if you have a good set of tools have a welder and can do most of the work, You’ll be fine. If you don’t it will get real expensive. There are so many aftermarket parts available. For me , I love hunting for parts on line, swap meets Craig’s list…etc. I am working on a 85 Fiero GT that had some rust issue that many have said to just find a donor car. I’m sure I’ve put more money in it than what it’s worth but it is my sons first car we bought when he was 15.he drove it thru college…moved to Texas, then Ohio then back to Illinois for me to work on it. Patience is needed for your build. I’m sure you were probably hoping to do the basics and drive it….but…..now its going to take more time.
how much did you pay for it ?….if you don’t mind me asking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts