Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Trans Am - 400 - TH350 - 3.23 - Y82 - WS6
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am technically new here and mentioned in my introduction post that I have always been a long time "listener" of forums and after reading the recent postings of Face Book FBN? and Rant Here! "More engagement and follow-up please?!?? I just wanted to 'vent' or express my feelings on the state of the 'internet car culture'.

I always loved the forum aspect of the internet and have been following multiple since in highscool ('04-ish) but never had a real reason to be involved. Life took way and me and the internet community split ways unfortunately. Recently purchasing a project, I have realized the usefulness and need for online knowledge and the 'recording' of information for others. I remember when forums were the go-to source for community discussions and top notch info. It seems the latter has taken the full front as people just look for the quick answers from the "old heads". However it was more the community and camaraderie that kept me engaged. People posting everyday things or celebratory threads like Happy Turkey Day post made me feel involved in an unseen family. I do see that in the history of this Forum but that is the issue... History. Forums were the OG social media of people sharing and communicating, and it is unfortunate how the ever-revolving social media has taken it's place due to its instant gratification factor. Is there any hope for forum resurgence?

I am grateful of this community and anyone willing to keep up this "tradition".

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am W72 400/4speed (swapped)
441 Posts
Resurgence? Kinda doubt it but maybe. In the time since I joined this forum it seems a bit more active than before. I belong to three other trans am forums. One is more of a place to BS than actually get or provide any help anymore, the other two used to be extremely active. Of those two, one contains a lot of useful archived info but sees little traffic now and the other lost all of its old data and though it remains somewhat active it just isn’t the same. I still think they’re all better than FB though. Which is why I stay.
There is also a Pontiac oriented forum I belong to which is allegedly less active than it used to be but remains far more active with knowledgeable members than the others though the subject matter is more drivetrain oriented.

Side note, if you graduated ‘04-ish we’re about the same age.

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
I'm the Administrator on CamaroZ28.com, with well over 100,000 members. I've been there since 1998. Used to have a hundred posts a day. Now there are days with no posts at all. When there are posts they are almost all from new 4th Gen LT1 owners, looking for help with their clapped out purchases.

The two most active members are GaryDoug (same person from here) and me. We don’t even own Camaros. But Gary's PCM scanning software and my ability to interpret the data logs it produces seem to attract the few stragglers. It's really sad when someone posts a question about a 5th Gen or 6th Gen Camaro, and I have to tell them there's no regulars on the site that can help them.

Everybody says Facebook killed the forums. I've seldom even looked at a Facebook site, but when I have the advice ranges from “pretty good” to totally incorrect. Scary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts