Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok after much searching and finding out just how many things may cause this issue I'm pretty much out of words. So my car has a lt1 from a 94 trans am "anniversary edition" but is a 01. What works has been done to it i have no clues other then cold air and headers and cat back. So I looked at one sight said to check header tube temps to find cold spots. well on left side of motor only 1 cylinder is hot. Is there a suggested first step to trouble shooting? It ran a lil ruff when i first bought it but after today its running like total crap. Im lost in the sauce on this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok after much searching and finding out just how many things may cause this issue I'm pretty much out of words. So my car has a lt1 from a 94 trans am "anniversary edition" but is a 01. What works has been done to it i have no clues other then cold air and headers and cat back. So I looked at one sight said to check header tube temps to find cold spots. well on left side of motor only 1 cylinder is hot. Is there a suggested first step to trouble shooting? It ran a lil ruff when i first bought it but after today its running like total crap. Im lost in the sauce on this.
So i just unpluged the spark plug wires from all three cylinders and cranked it and yup runs just like it did before.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
First thing I would try is new plug wires and plugs. See if this improves things. Might want to pull fuel rail out of intake and check fuel injector spray patterns. You could have 3 or more clogged injectors or injectors that don't spray at all. When you pull fuel rail, install new injector o-rings.

Just to be on safe side, get a fuel pressure gauge and see if key on prime fuel pressure is about 43 psi. Crank car and let engine idle. Pressure should be in the mid 30's psi @ idle.

If all of the above doesn't improve running condition, it's time to pull optispark cap to inspect it and the rotor. Unfortunately you must pull water pump to get to opti cap & rotor. If terminals of cap are corroded or badly worn, you need new parts. While cap & rotor are off, pull shielding and inspect opti inner chamber for oil, corrosion, or coolant in there.

If they are present, better expect to get a new opti soon. GM, Delphi, MSD, are the only optis you should buy.

Do all the part changes & checks. Report your findings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts