Firebird Nation banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an on going issue with a misfire that turned into a long headache that got resolved after I finally took it to a shop.

So this story starts out with a misfire on cylinder 5 a few months back. Enough to throw a code but car was still driveable as long as I did not give it too much gas. Since I had already bought new plugs and wires I used this as an opportunity to change them out. Car was fine for a couple of weeks then the cylinder 5 misfire came back. Rechecked my wire connections and one was a little loose. Problem went away for a few days then it started to misfire again but this time it gave a random misfire code. Thinking it was a fuel or air mix issue I started thinking it may be the fuel pressure regulator or the EGR valve. I only thought these because of a truck I had that did the same "bogging" loss of power when accelerating so I bit the bullet and spent a couple hundred dollars on replacing the FPR and EGR. This did NOT fix my problem and now was getting a code for my MAP sensor, so another 40 bucks for the sensor and still getting a random misfire. Finally took it to a shop because my belt tensioner failed on me and lost my serpentine belt while driving. Since I had it at the shop they diagnosed the misfire to a bad Ignition Coil (for cylinders 2/5). This finally solved the issue of the misfire. Its been a couple of weeks and I got a misfire on cylinder 3 so being smarter through my recent challenges I did something I wish I had done in the first place when I had the cylinder 5 misfire, I disconnected my battery and swapped my new ignition coil with the coil that controls cylinders 3/6. Hooked up the spark plug wires in the correct spot ignoring the numbering since 3/6 is where 2/5 should be and vice versa and took it for a spin. Car misfired and now says its cylinder 5 so I can now replace the ignition coil and while I am at it I am going to just change out the third coil to save some future headaches. From what I can tell is that when the coil starts to go it will give you a misfire on one of the cylinders it controls but if you drive it like that for awhile then it gets worse and gives you a random misfire so troubleshoot it for yourself and swap coils before you get to the random stage.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts