Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 69 that has drums on the rear and disks on the front. I have manual brakes. I am not sure if the car came with drums all the way around, but I found old complete drum assemblies in the trunk?? My question is..if the car came originally equipped with drums all the way around and the previous owner put disks on the front end, do I need to convert to power brakes? Do I need to add a proportioning valve as well? I am finding that the previous owner did things a bit half way and I am correcting all of his sub par work.
I have completely replaced the front suspension, disks and calipers. I am about to buy all new brake lines, but want to be sure that I know what I need first.

Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You can keep the non power brakes if you wish. All 1st gens came with a distributer for the brake fluid. But proportioning valve wasn't added until 2nd gen. At least theres not one on the part breakdown I have.

I believe disc and drum front brakes will need a different master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
When I don't know if there is a difference between two similar parts I will go to a parts store website and see if there are different part numbers depending on the options a car has. If you go to Autozone.com, you will see that the master cylinder for front drum/rear drum is different than front disc/rear drum. In the parts description, it looks line the disc brake master cylinder has a 1.125 bore, while the drum/drum has a 1.0 bore. When I replaced all the brake lines on my car I added an adjustable proportioning valve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts