Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to lowering my car. Drop spindles or spring in the front . Rear drop leaf spring or blocks

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
It just depends on how much money you would like to spend. You can just lower the front end with a torch to the coil springs, or you can replace them with "lowering springs" (preferred method) or you can replace the lower control arms with tubular ones that give you a lower spring mounting point. The rear end you can do with block kits, but you can actually LOSE traction as the geometry of the axle to leaf's change. Usually you would replace the springs with a 3" drop, that would bring it down about 2" in the rear. From there you can drill a new bolt hole in the front leaf bracket 3/4" above the existing one. But while you have the leaf's out, might as well replace the bushings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Global West upper and lower arms on the bird. So 2 inch lowering springs in the front and 3 inch lowering leafs rings in the rear .

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Here's part of what I'm planning on using on mine. Just haven't gotten it done yet. This just part of their entire suspension system, but it's what your interested in.

http://www.ridetech.com/store/components/spindles/

http://www.ridetech.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.configuration_product&group_id=24&product_id=1215

I included the information about the on steering components because it solves the issue of bump steer and allow much greater clearance for larger wheels and tires.

I have ridden in one of RideTech's cars with their level 3 (racing) suspension. Lowered, larger wheels. It competes in national auto cross series. That was quite a ride, lol.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Hmm....my lower tubulars seem to have a far lower spring bucket than the old stamped steel ones....I may have an issue here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the stock spring on my tubulars. No problems handleing is much better then stock control arm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts