Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to prevent leaves and debris from falling thru my cowl vents and causing future rust issues (see pix). I can even hear them rattling around behind my kicker panels when I'm driving.

I know 2nd gens and newer have a plastic grille / screen to prevent leaves and whatnot from going in. Has anyone else had this problem with their 1st gen? I can't seem to find anything aftermarket, and a buddy of mine (KeyKeeper) gave me a pretty good idea about JB Welding a screen to the underside of the cowl. I plan on hitting some hardware stores this weekend so see if I can find any cool looking mesh or metal screens for this. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem and what they came up with as a solution.

Pix are always appreciated!

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
I know my panels underneath had to be replaced because they rusted out, lol. Keep us posted on what you do.

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
On my 2nd, 3rd & 4th gens, I use a 100% cotton sheet to cover the vent places. It breaths so moisture doesn't get trapped, but it keeps the leaves from getting in. Be sure to use only 100% cotton, as other fabrics like polyester, etc don't breath.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.